Apple Remote with unibody macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cemcr, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cemcr macrumors newbie

I have an unibody macbook (bought in late 2008), would like to know if the Apple Remote is compatible... how can I find out?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It is. Every computer Apple has shipped since quite some time ago, including that one, have an IR receiver for the Apple remote.

3. cemcr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, just moved from PC, so still getting used to :apple:. Where do you point the remote to? in PC you always have a little sensor, what about in the Macbook?

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, Apple hasn't included the remote with new Macs for some time.

The IR receiver is at the front, in the right corner of the lower body on all recent Apple portables (uMB/P and Air). It's the little black sliver, next to where the sleep light is hidden.

Of course, this helps, too. (see page 18).
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_13inch_Aluminum_Late2008.pdf

5. cemcr thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm sure it's clear, but just to reiterate--as I said, everything even remotely new does have the IR sensor compatible with any modern Apple remote. jdechko was pointing out that they don't include the actual remote unless you add it as a BTO option for about $20.

The remotes are easy to find for cheap, by the way, since there were a lot of unused ones laying around from back when Apple included them with everything. If I'd been thinking when I ordered my new Mini I'd have saved myself $5 or $10.

Fun trivia: The current little bitty remote is not the first Apple made; some Performas and Power Macs from back in the '90s also had an IR receiver and optional remote. Even more fun, they used the same remote codes as Sony TVs, so you could use your TV remote to adjust the volume on your computer or shut it down. And if you didn't realize this, you could easily think there was a poltergeist in your computer. (The modern ones use a different code, by the way. Wish they didn't, though, because I can't seem to find an equivalent remote so I can set my universal up to control my Mac.)

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Even my Mac Pro? :D

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh, got me on that one. Every non-workstation Mac?