Apple Remote - worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thunderl, Jul 11, 2008.

1. thunderl macrumors newbie

Hi, guys

I'm deciding on an apple remote... I want to control movies (played from a MBP) on my TV.

But now I saw that there is an Apple iTunes Remote application for iPhone. I'm not sure if it would be able to replace the need for apple remote. How does iPhone communicate with the MBP? Bluetooth? Would this be a decent and free alternative to apple remote or you think it'll be better to spend the buck and get the real thing.

2. chinarider macrumors regular

Get it - I don't use mine all the time, but when i do, I'm glad I have it.

Plus, which would you prefer to lose between the couch cushions?

3. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I love mine. Use it mainly for the AppleTV, however if you have a MBP hooked up using front row, I'd be using it just as much. It's simple, not a lot of buttons, and does what's needed for movies. Small form factor is a plus in my eyes (even if it does get lost between the cushions sometimes)! I have too many remotes as is, this helps reduce the cluttered look.

4. Xtreambar macrumors regular

I can't stand that the Remote always works with all Macs. Sometimes my girlfriend and I will be in the same room, both on our Macbooks, and I'll pull-up my FrontRow with my Remote, which will inadvertantly bring up her FrontRow also, much to her annoyance.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Go to System Preferences > Security > General Tab. Use the 'Pair' button to make your remote talk only to your computer.

As for the OP's question, I never use my remote. I think I tried it out a few times, but I just don't have a use for it right now.

6. ayale99 macrumors 6502

The iphone remote communicates via wi-fi to your MBP which inturn communicates with AppleTV. No bluetooth involved. I just got it last night. Works great. The only con is that there's no way to search by genre. If you have a lot of movies, you have to scroll through quite a large list on your iphone.

7. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

even with the new iphone remote application I would still purchase a regular apple remote for convenience. Plus if you happen to be in a no wi-fi zone, the iphone won't be able to control you laptop.

8. ladbroke macrumors newbie

Back when I had a Powerbook, I'd work out while listening to music, wishing I had a remote. Of course, when the MBPs came out 4 months later, I wasn't jealous of the Intel processors, iSight camera, or Magsafe power connection. I was jealous that I couldn't change songs on iTunes from 10 feet away.

That being said, most Mac owners I know don't use them, and typically just leave them in the box. If you're not sure you'll use it, don't buy it. Chances are you'll find a friend that doesn't want theirs, or you can go on eBay and buy one for about half the price Apple charges.

9. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

The remote can handle stuff other than iTunes, too– the uses vary by the user. I, for example, have used my MBP as an alarm clock through the app Awaken for a year or two now. The remote serves as my snooze button. If you can pick one up cheap, it's silly not to have one.

10. The Hammer macrumors regular

scienide09 is Apple Tv worth it for Canadians? Perhaps I should have posted this question as a new thread?

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

After having the remote with my blackbook and going to a powerbook without one, I would say it is worth it. I used my computer as a media machine basically because of the amount of music and videos I had on it and having a remote was just a nice touch to increase the enjoyment.

It's one of the things I really look forward to when receiving my MBP.

12. pxlogs macrumors newbie

If you decide to get one, buy it on ebay. I've seen new & sealed Apple Remotes for $6. Cheaper than the Apple Store :p

13. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The iPhone communicates over Wi-Fi to the MBP.

The Remote Software will be far far better to use than Apple's remote. This software displays the song information on the iPhone/Touch screen so you know what's playing/coming up next etc etc. And because it works over wi-fi, you don't need line-of-sight to use it.

14. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Similar situation; can I use a Apple Remote from a iPod dock with a Mac? I think I can if I pair it, correct? Thanks.

15. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Too keep this thread on topic, I've send you a PM. Check your messages.

16. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I use it with my Hi-Fi. I never really use it for my iMac (and now Mac Pro) though. Love it when I run on the treadmill.
    The thing that got annoying was when my hi-fi was next to my computer with iTunes open. I would play my iTunes, then my hi-fi would go off too!

17. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I've been thankful of mine at times.

I have a wireless mouse as well, which I could easily use to control playback of my movies and music, etc. from a distance but I prefer the Remote, even if it just sits around gathering dust most of the time.

Can be very useful at times.

I say go for it if you honestly think you would use it enough to get your moneys-worth out of it.

18. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I was going to say the exact same thing.

19. thunderl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the advice, guys. I'm definitely getting one :) !