Apple Remote

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raymondu999, May 8, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

You know that little white doohickey that Apple used to bundle with laptops and now has stopped? My dad recently was goofing around with his MacBook Air (not mine in the sig) and he was testing keynote, and by accident, actually was able to control his keynote presentation through the apple remote. Is this a feature that was always there? All I've ever used the remote for was goofing around with Front Row.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does it only work in Keynote? Or, aside from Front Row and Keynote, is there another thing that can do it? How come the big Jobs doesn't use it in his keynotes to remote control his Keynote presentation? (no pun intended). Is it because it's only an IR remote (line-of-sight) while his is a stronger RF remote (I deduced this from the antenna)?

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'm not sure what else is supported "natively" apart from sound volume, but you can try RemoteBuddy to configure all kinds of actions.

5. Gamble macrumors member

http://gnuhaus.com/iblog/archives/000200.html

6. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

Don't forget it works with AppleTV!

Which really is annoying if you have your computer and Apple TV anywhere near each other, like when I am working on emails on my laptop and trying to change the movie on AppleTV.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You can actually pair an Apple Remote to a specific computer. But, I'm not quite sure if that will prevent the remote from operating an Apple TV because I've never owned one.