Apple remotely deletes Videos app

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by tywebb13, Sep 23, 2017.

1. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

It's just called Videos.

It's apple's own app which came on older ios versions - or in some countries with ios 11 where the TV app hasn't been released yet.

Actually apple have put the videos app back on their app store now but now it has a new message preventing you from reinstalling it if you already have the TV app: "This app requires specific features not available on this device".

2. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

If your going to get this upset about something so minor I hope you read every terms and conditions document of every software license agreement and cloud internet service you’ve ever signed up to with a fine tooth combe. You don’t really think you own any of the software on your iPhone do you?

3. newellj macrumors 604

The software, however, including the OS, are NOT yours, they belong to Apple. So, your assumptions here are simply wrong.

4. stulaw11 Suspended

Agree, realize that TOS are NOT written to protect the consumer but rather the company. Cloud services disclaim and and all liability if every one of your important docs are "accidentally" deleted from their servers, someone hacks in, etc. Basically you are SOL.

5. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

If you change iTunes stores it automatically changes between video app and tv app depending on the country you select. For example in Australia it is still videos app but if you change to USA store it will automatically change to tv app. Probably both are installed and it selects the correct one but I don’t know.

6. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

7. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

This isn’t comparable because a document would be something you created. The videos app is software created and licensed for you to use on your iPhone by Apple. You don’t own it like you would a digital document that you created yourself.

8. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

9. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

That's not quite what happened.

Installing ios 11 replaced the Videos app with the TV app.

But then reinstalling the Videos app allowed me to have both apps.

Then mysteriously a few days later the videos app disappeared - without me doing anything except connect to internet.

Now I do actually have some evidence. I have it also on an ipod with no internet connection and I made a photo of both apps together on the same device:

IMG_0012.JPG

Scared to connect it yet to the net in case the Videos app gets deleted again.

10. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

TV does actualy everything Videos did. So I still don't see why one would want Videos instead of TV in iOS 11. All my movies are here (both purchased and ripped), so smooth sailing ;)

11. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Apologies if this is a stupid question. But if the TV app is replacing the Videos app, and Apple are planning to retire the Videos app in countries where the TV app is now live. Why don’t you just start using the TV app instead? It seems like a really simple solution to me.

12. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Why do you keep saying that when we all know you did. Either knowingly or not, you did.

13. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

Tried that too. But prefer the old Videos app. It is much simpler and set out better. That's why I got the Videos app back in the first place.

You might be right eventually I may have to start getting used to the TV app. But I still think the Videos app was much easier to use.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

https://ssl.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/ios51.pdf

15. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that the Videos app no longer worked! I had deleted the TV app and redownloaded Videos on day 1 of iOS 11. I tried to rent a movie and it told me I needed the TV app. So while yes you could download Videos a couple days ago, it was no good because you couldn’t rent or buy anything anyway.

16. tywebb13 thread starter macrumors 68020

This might actually be the reason apple want to remove it from devices in countries where the TV app is released.

The Videos app was still OK for other videos though (i.e., ones not purchased). I preferred the Videos app because it was easier to use. That's why I reinstalled it in the first place.