Apple removed copying more than 5 pics in iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -aggie-, Jul 11, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just found out that you can’t copy more than 5 pics, when you want to paste them in mail like we used to do in all OS 3’s prior to 4.0. You can share more than 5, but it is now limited to 9, and if you share more than 5, your only option is to MMS the pics. Bottom line is you can only email 5 pics at a time.

So, Apple had to purposely remove the option to copy more than 5 pics. I guess someone decided we really didn’t need that function. Thanks, Apple.

2. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

probably has to do with the amount of ram used in the clipboard.

two copy operations for 10 items while the os being responsive was probably considered a better trade off than one copy operation and flushing ram with several seconds of freezing at random intervals (since copyboard operations don't necessarily match with what your doing at the moment).

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Or just send a couple of emails...

5. RC83 macrumors 6502

lol

6. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

No.

The point is that Apple didn’t need to take away the capability we used to have. No wonder people jailbreak.

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Agreed, that's pretty ridiculous. I send more than 5 pics via email all the time, sometimes I also copy them into an existing email after that fact. This blows. :mad:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1

That seems to be the case, apple/Jobs decides what is good the for the unwashed masses.

9. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Um, remember, more MP in the camera now, so those photos are a LOT bigger! As somebody else said, there's probably a fixed limit on the size of the copy/paste buffer so we probably can't get as many photos into it at once as before...

10. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I always imagined iOS handled copying/pasting a lot more intelligently than that. I thought it simply copied references to the files and then when pasted pulled the info directly into the target object. Guess not.

11. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s only if you select keep the original size. You now have 3 other options, large, medium, and small. So, yeah, if you picked keep the original size, then you probably couldn’t email more than 5 with Yahoo that has a 10 MB limit, but all you’d have to do is pick the smaller size.

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

well maybe the file of more than 5 pics to email are too big for some email systems. I know some of my friends I could only send 5 when I emailed them from my phone, so I bet I can only send 3 since the pics are bigger.

13. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

apple doesn't just randomly take away capabilities. they make trade offs depending on things that affect the system, even if you don't know what's being adversely affected. it's what good engineers do. 99% of the time, there's a good reason for it.

14. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Speaking of things they took away, Apple also removed the field test/diagnostic mode that allowed you to see signal strength. Gee Wiz, I wonder why they did this. :rolleyes:

So I guess the field test mode was causing issues then. Funny, never found a single issue with it for the past few years.

15. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Surely iPhone 4 (at least) would have an adequate amount of available RAM for copying many pictures?

16. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i sure am glad you've been talking to the engineers who were using it and the call teams who had to deal with customers calling in about it.

17. chris302001 macrumors newbie

nobody is really interested in seeing that many pictures of you anyway.

non-issue

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

your pasting it wrong.

---
    Sent from my iPhone.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

1) work around is to go back and forth and copy 5 at a time. pain.

2) Why with OS 4.0 did they also remove the function that when you COPIED a picture it gave it the real file name. Now if you copy it says IMAGE.jpg and if you share it names it PICTURE.jpg. a) why different names and b) how annoying to always have the same names instead of the ACTUAL file name

Stupid

20. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, I’m hoping they didn’t mean to do any of this, and it’ll be put back to how it was. As you can see from the responses I got above, I don’t hold out much hope when you get people defending Apple for this (my nicest way of not using a derogatory term).

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I can live with their decision about limiting mail to 5 pics even though I think it's incredibly stupid.

But the file naming convention is not only sloppy - but doesn't make ANY sense.

22. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

23. pablo7 macrumors 6502

^ How do you copy 5 pics at a time instead of going back and fourth??? thx (edit) Ah you beat me to it lol.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

in your camera roll hit the top right button

select photos. then hit "copy" (middle button on bottom of screen)

then paste into an email

25. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Thanks, thought is was going nuts there for a minute trying to find the top right button...LOL, the button in bottom left.