Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has leased the entirety of the so-called "Triangle Building" near Apple Park in San Jose, California, reports The Mercury News.

triangle-building-apple-park-bay-area-news-group.jpg

The prominent six-floor building is located at 5300 Stevens Creek Blvd, just two miles from Apple Park, and the company has reportedly leased all 86,000-square feet of the property.

According to the report, a "considerable" amount of construction work is already to be underway on all six floors, and Apple logos can be seen throughout the building.

Apple first rented part of the building in 2012, but information from property listing services obtained by The Mercury News suggests that the company has not continuously made use of the office space.

The report notes that Apple began expanding its presence around Apple Park last year, when it leased office space in a complex located directly across from the Triangle Building.

Apple owns and leases several properties in and around the Bay Area, including its Cupertino campus in Santa Clara and offices in San Jose.

Article Link: Apple Rents All Six Floors of 'Triangle Building' Near Apple Park

Last edited:

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
More space to grow to develop new Apple products and services...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple has a TON of office space. Seems like they’re leasing more and more and more. Hopefully we’ll see fruits of the labor this year and beyond.

Reactions: toph2toast

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Teams need to get out of the mothership even today. The Mac was made at the Texaco Towers (Gas station).

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I thought Apple Park was designed to have more than enough room for the company to grow. Have they exceeded that growth? Or is the building going to be the largest Apple Store in the world? I can understand leasing offices in other states or other countries, but just two miles from the main building? And aren't they still making use of the old campus?

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
I thought Apple Park was designed to have more than enough room for the company to grow. Have they exceeded that growth? Or is the building going to be the largest Apple Store in the world? I can understand leasing offices in other states or other countries, but just two miles from the main building? And aren't they still making use of the old campus?

It was designed by Jony Ive with beauty not capacity in mind.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple Park isn’t near enough space. They’re still at Infinite Loop, dozens of stand alone buildings in Cupertino, buildings in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and other nearby cities. They’re everywhere around here. Not to mention a large 85 acre development across 101 from the San Jose Airport they’ve put together in the last few years, already approved for over 4 million sq ft of office/R&D space—50% larger than the spaceship.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Apple Park is so huge, how can they have filled that up? They must not have normal office cubicles, like most businesses, or they have a lot of redundancy help because they really do not have a lot of products that need that many people for and they certainly didn't use many of them on iOS 13 and MacOS 10.15 releases.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Apple leased space in that building back in the 80's for a while, even had their logo on the outside. It was very prominently visible from I-280. And yes, the Triangle Building is pretty prominent as it's located in a sea of nondescript beige boxes that dominate the Silicon Valley landscape.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple Park isn’t near enough space.

I took a friend through Cupertino a couple of weeks ago and pointed out all of the buildings that Apple either currently occupies or had occupied at one point. It's basically half of anything zoned for office space in Cupertino.

"That used to be a winter sports and bike shop, until it became Apple."

"That wasn't always a hotel. It used to be Apple."

"That's not Apple, but I think they still own that building."

"ATI was in that building for a while."

It's getting to be like "Cisco City" in Santa Clara where you'd be forgiven if you mistakenly believed that it was a real township owned by Cisco because you could walk for miles and never encounter a building that didn't have a Cisco logo.

Apple leased space in that building back in the 80's for a while, even had their logo on the outside.

It's interesting how many buildings Apple has moved into and out of and back into in Cupertino.

Reactions: newyorksole

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Seems it would make more sense to include a picture of the building in question.
View attachment 890333
We've been having some technical issues today and weren't able to upload new images, so that's why we had to reuse an Apple Park image that was already in our library.

Things are behaving better now (though still some wrinkles working out), so we were finally able to get a photo of the actual building in there.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Apple leased space in that building back in the 80's for a while, even had their logo on the outside. It was very prominently visible from I-280. And yes, the Triangle Building is pretty prominent as it's located in a sea of nondescript beige boxes that dominate the Silicon Valley landscape.
Correct. It was the building where Steve Wozniak was helping design new versions of the Apple ][ for the international market back in the days.
The building shows as Stevens Creek 9 on Apple Maps.
And the triangle building is uniquely inside the triangle formed by Hwy 280, Stevens Creek Blvd and Lawrence Expressway in San Jose.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Apple Park is so huge, how can they have filled that up? They must not have normal office cubicles, like most businesses, or they have a lot of redundancy help because they really do not have a lot of products that need that many people for and they certainly didn't use many of them on iOS 13 and MacOS 10.15 releases.

Last I checked, Apple made a lot of hardware. Hardware development requires electronics lab space, machine shops, huge RF and audio anechoic chambers, PCB fab lines with lots of chemicals, environmental test chambers, etc.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Hardware development requires electronics lab space, machine shops, huge RF and audio anechoic chambers, PCB fab lines with lots of chemicals, environmental test chambers, etc.

Not to mention they also have an unknown number of secret R&D projects going on that are so secret that most people who work there don't even know about them.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Apple Park isn’t near enough space. They’re still at Infinite Loop, dozens of stand alone buildings in Cupertino, buildings in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and other nearby cities. They’re everywhere around here. Not to mention a large 85 acre development across 101 from the San Jose Airport they’ve put together in the last few years, already approved for over 4 million sq ft of office/R&D space—50% larger than the spaceship.

They have buildings all up and down De Anza, and even into the alley ways and areas to either side like Bandley Dr, and Mariani Ave.

I was amazed at how many buildings Apple was in, and there were even a few more north of the highway as I remember. I have pictures of most of the signage around here somewhere. I even saw the 'time out' building the board shoved steve into off Stevens Creek. One guy, fronting on De Anza, had a huge Rogue Brewery neon sign in his office.
[automerge]1579976581[/automerge]

The ring really doesn't have that much space. It *covers* a lot of space. If they had made another ring inside that one, they would have tons more space, or put a circular building in the center. It's not a very efficient building. Imagine having to see someone on the other side of the ring. Do you walk around, take your skateboard/bike/Segway, or walk outside across the commons, or just remote to their office. Decisions...

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The ring really doesn't have that much space. It *covers* a lot of space.

I think it may surprise people how much less space the entire campus covers than you would be led to believe from all of the flyover drone videos done of the building. The way those were shot made it look like the UFO building was in the middle of a rural college campus when it's really not all that far back from the road.

If you go to visit and expect to feel like you're approaching a shining city on a hill, you'll be disappointed. It's more like approaching a federal courthouse.

I was taking a friend around on a gawking tour of Silicon Valley a few weeks ago. We drove by some tech HQ's. We're putting up some weird buildings around here. The UFO building is pretty cool looking and all, but as you mentioned, the way it uses space isn't ideal. On the other side we've got Nvidia and Google with these weird white mound-like buildings that look like they were formed from lava flow spurting out of a live volcano.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
They have buildings all up and down De Anza, and even into the alley ways and areas to either side like Bandley Dr, and Mariani Ave.
<snip>
Many of those buildings they’ve been in since before they even moved into infinite loop. I don’t see them vacating anytime soon, even when the north San Jose campus comes online, just like they’re still at infinite loop.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Many of those buildings they’ve been in since before they even moved into infinite loop. I don’t see them vacating anytime soon, even when the north San Jose campus comes online, just like they’re still at infinite loop.

I know. I was surprised to see so many buildings from the lore of the early days of Apple. Seeing the building that Jobs was banished to was interesting. I don't think Apple still uses it. I think it's a bank now. But looking at the map to see where the ring is in reference to the loop, I saw another building that I wasn't aware of. Yeah, they are all over the place. And I never saw an empty building either. Yeah, they want their space. It's expensive. Giving it up is a loss of money. I wondered if Apple actually owns more buildings and leases the space as a way to get more money. Heck, I would. Cash in on the fevered surge in property values. Why not!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
They already have tons of office space around Silicon Valley that they are using. It was never the case that everything was going to be consolidated in the spaceship.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
They already have tons of office space around Silicon Valley that they are using. It was never the case that everything was going to be consolidated in the spaceship.

I think the ring was a statement, rather than a solution. I couldn't figure out why Apple did it. Maybe Jobs' legacy? I think it would have been amazing to move into an office there, but I'm sure it would get old after a while. *shrug*

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think the ring was a statement, rather than a solution.

Of course that had to play into it. I didn't do any reading into the thinking behind the campus, but I can see some potential functional reasons on top of want to use it to project power.

It looks like a design that encourages people to get more physical activity and fresh air. They're challenging people to "close the loop" all the time so why not close it at the loop itself?

Also, it could be like the famous (before it became infamous) free food at Google which in a charitable view would be to help their employees perform better by making them comfortable, but could also be seen as a thinly veiled attempt to keep people at the office longer. Along those lines, if you're spending 80 hours of your week at work at Apple, you're more likely to put up with it if you like your surroundings.

I think it would have been amazing to move into an office there, but I'm sure it would get old after a while.

I wouldn't think it'd be that big of an issue. They could make that plot of land as dense as a 1950's urban housing project and still not have enough space to hold the entire company on the same campus. In a company that size, I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect that Jane from Engineering could simply walk across any building and have a conversation with Dick in Marketing.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Of course that had to play into it. I didn't do any reading into the thinking behind the campus, but I can see some potential functional reasons on top of want to use it to project power.

It looks like a design that encourages people to get more physical activity and fresh air. They're challenging people to "close the loop" all the time so why not close it at the loop itself?

Also, it could be like the famous (before it became infamous) free food at Google which in a charitable view would be to help their employees perform better by making them comfortable, but could also be seen as a thinly veiled attempt to keep people at the office longer. Along those lines, if you're spending 80 hours of your week at work at Apple, you're more likely to put up with it if you like your surroundings.

I wouldn't think it'd be that big of an issue. They could make that plot of land as dense as a 1950's urban housing project and still not have enough space to hold the entire company on the same campus. In a company that size, I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect that Jane from Engineering could simply walk across any building and have a conversation with Dick in Marketing.

You have a point. If the ring was for one division, or maybe smaller divisions, or maybe just corporate management (?) it would limit the times someone would have to 'walk the ring'. Still, I heard people can't just walk all the way around the ring on the upper floors, and probably not the ground floor either, as there are areas that are not open to all employees, and some areas where there just isn't anymore floor to walk (upper floors).

It would be cool to visit. I can't afford to win an auction to get the chance to see it, but it would have to be amazing to see. *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.