Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to reopen its only store in Vienna, Austria tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. local time, marking the second store that's reopened outside of Greater China.

appleaustriastore.jpg

Apple Kärntner Straße in Vienna will operate on limited hours, and like Apple's other reopened store in South Korea, the focus will likely be on repairs and purchase pickups rather than standard shopping and browsing.

All of Apple's stores outside of Greater China have been closed since March 14 due to the ongoing health crisis. Apple on April 16 reopened its sole store in South Korea, located in Seoul's Gangnam district.

During last Thursday's earnings call covering the second fiscal quarter of 2020, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple planned to reopen stores in Austria and Australia within one to two weeks, so we can expect to see Australian Apple Stores reopening next.

Cook also said that Apple is planning to reopen "just a few stores" in the United States starting in May. Apple plans to examine the data and make decisions on whether to reopen on a city by city, county by county basis, following local guidelines and recommendations.

After stores in Austria and Australia reopen, stores worldwide could follow. Apple retail chief Deirdre O'Brien last Monday told employees that she expects Apple will open "many more stores" in May.

Article Link: Apple Reopening Vienna, Austria Apple Store on May 5

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Any guesses when they might reopen the U.S. stores? I would think the ones in CA may open prior to places like NYC, Detroit & other severely hit Covid-19 areas.

Apple and the Article says May. I am sure it will start with the states that have lifted the shelter in stay. NY stores will be the last in the US to open.

Comment

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Brick & mortar Apple Stores aren't really necessary. I bet they're realizing that now

I would be curious to know how many iPhone owners have visited an actual Apple store.

I must admit that I have a very warped view of this because there are at least seven Apple stores within a 45 minute drive of me. The closest one is six blocks away from where I typically work.

I realize that this is not the case for the vast majority of people. But when I pay a premium price I expect premium service to go along with it.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Brick & mortar Apple Stores aren't really necessary. I bet they're realizing that now

They are necessary. A lot of revenue comes from the stores. It’s important for customers to play with products in person and have a great experience from the team.
[automerge]1588628006[/automerge]
I would be curious to know how many iPhone owners have visited an actual Apple store.

I must admit that I have a very warped view of this because there are at least seven Apple stores within a 45 minute drive of me. The closest one is six blocks away from where I typically work.

I realize that this is not the case for the vast majority of people. But when I pay a premium price I expect premium service to go along with it.

Believe it or not a lot of people still don’t know Apple stores sell iPhones. They think it’s just all display and that they have to go through their carrier.

Comment

tyranne201

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
Any guesses when they might reopen the U.S. stores? I would think the ones in CA may open prior to places like NYC, Detroit & other severely hit Covid-19 areas.

your country is reporting 2,000 deaths/day and you are already thinking about store's openings.
[automerge]1588631107[/automerge]
Yes because opening one store in a small country that has leveled off on infections will have them beat their "semester"

Austria Apple Store actually must sell pretty well, given it is a rich country.

Comment

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria

Their only brick and mortar store in Austria only opened last year - I guess they are already well aware of the fact that they don‘t need that. it‘s probably more of a PR-thing.

btw, interesting that they retouched the photo of the apple store so much (darkening of everything non-apple). sadly, i didn‘t find any image-credits on macrumors, but I‘m sure they got a releaseform from the two clearly identifyable pepople in front of the store.

Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
your country is reporting 2,000 deaths/day and you are already thinking about store's openings.

First, your number is completely flawed without normalizing to population.

Second, the COVID infection rate across the US varies greatly, from the most infected to least infected state is a factor of nearly 40x.

Thinking that the entire US must remain open or shut at once is like saying that the entire EU must stay closed until Italy completely recovers.

Last edited:
Comment

Cycom

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
First, your number is completely flawed without normalizing to population.

Second, the COVID infection rate across the US varies greatly, from the most infected to least infected state is a factor of nearly 40x.

Thinking that the entire US must remain open or shut at once is like saying that the entire EU must stay closed until Italy completely recovers.
Have pity on these folks. They get their “facts” from Faux News, the Clown News Network, MSHIV, etc.

Comment

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017

Might want to try a little critical thinking. The US is a big place.

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem
Comment

ececlv

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014

while deaths are not good, we are a very big country and most of the deaths are occurring in one corner of the country. Opening Apple stores isnt going to be an issue.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.