Apple repair broke screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pocax, Nov 14, 2016.

1. pocax macrumors newbie

Hey all. I have a late 2011 MBP that qualified for the repair program for the video issue.
    The laptop was working fine and nothing was wrong with the screen. Next day it would start and only show a white screen with horizontal blue and pink lines going across. I took it in and they said it will be repaired for free under the program. When they gave the screen back it had a yellow vertical line in the middle that they said was from the screen and wasnt covered under the repair program. We argued. They are trying to replace the screen under the original repair. Am i in the wrong here or does apple owe me the screen repair? thanks.

2. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Unless they noted the screen problem in their pre-service write-up, I think it's hard to see how they can deny your request.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The failing dGPU may have masked this issue to a point where it was not discovered until the logic board was replaced.

4. pocax thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my only concern. Can a working / failing card mask an issue with a screen

5. theitsage macrumors 6502a

I've seen the yellow single-pixel vertical line in a few 2011 MBPs. It would be visible whether the dGPU was working. You were right to push the issue with Apple Support.

6. pocax thread starter macrumors newbie

Update. They replaced the screen. I got he MBP home and began to switch the HD back to mine away from an extra. and i saw a screw missing... so taking back tomorrow and then hopefully ill be good.

Attached Files:

7. theitsage macrumors 6502a

That's good and bad news. I've seen MacBook Pro returned with none of the heatsink screws and springs attached. It was awful to see the amount of thermal paste they used.