Apple Repair damaged my MBP display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bli625, May 6, 2009.

1. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I recently recieved my MBP back from being repaired only to find aluminum chipped off on the left hand side of the display. If it was a dent, it could be fixed, but it's chipped off.. actual aluminum is fixing. Will Apple do something about it? Or should I take it to the store and complain?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd definitely complain, but I'm not sure how far it's going to get you. It'll be really hard to prove that it was the repair person that made the dent and not you.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yes...Apple may try to say that you did it. What I would do is take pictures of the unit before you ship it off.

4. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Dang, I should've taken a picture of it before I shipped it off...

5. PDE macrumors 68020

They *might* try to deny it, but they can't unless they've made a note in advance on your repair order that there was a chip. They have that opportunity to go through the machine and write down if there is any cosmetic damage - if they didn't do that it's their responsibility.

Oops, you didn't go to a store. Sorry. I still think you shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed. They know very well that lots of computers get damaged by their tech people - all day long every single day. In fact, I'm so confident that they will damage my computer three times in a row if I send it in for repair (at which time they will normally replace it) that I'd bet on it.

I doubt they'll give you trouble.

good luck!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Complain and ask for a replacement or repair.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another voice to complain, While its too late, I always take a picture of my computer if it needs to go into the shop (just to be safe).

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

+1 for this, they got me once. Put a nice deep scratch on my Powerbook and tried to blame me for it. I had no proof to the contrary.
    Every repair since, I've taken detailed pictures. They once stripped 3-4 of my screws completely out and bent the corner of my MBP. I immediately called Applecare and they said they can't be held responsible for cosmetic issues that occur before they receive the computer. Luckily I had those time stamp pictures showing my serial number, the screws intact, and the corner straight! :)
    They hastily sent me a new MBP and Apple t-shirt to apologize. :)

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

They did something similar to my black macbook. First they used stickers that almost impossible to remove :mad:. Then they scratched the back of my battery :eek:! up to now i did not need them, but for sure from now i will take details pictures of my laptop if god forbid i need them to fix something.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I agree with this 100%.

If you have to ship it off, take several photographs to document the condition.

If you drop it off at an Apple Store, have the receiving person look over it with you and write on the work order " No Visible Damage ", or describe in detail any discrepancies.

I am a motorcyclist and here the same thing on those forums .... " took my bike in for service and it came back with a scratch. "

You have to look out for yourself, because nobody else will!

12. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

So if they don't make the note in advance, then I can argue about it?

13. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, that's how it is in the Apple Stores. They inspect the machine and write down any cosmetic issues and then you have a base point from which to argue if something goes wrong. It would obviously be different if you sent something in that they hadn't inspected.

Either way, I'm pretty confident that they won't argue about it. Just make sure you call quickly!

14. MacDaddyMac macrumors newbie

Happened to me 2 out of 2 times I had my MBP "repaired" at the Apple Store. The first time, they accused me of causing the damage and when it was apparent that this made no sense, they took the stance that it was normal and that everyone scratches their laptop anyway. The second time, they gave the standard "there's no way of knowing who actually did it" line even though the circumstances made it clear that it was them.

I'm now a bit leery of leaving my MBP with them. As others have mentioned, take plenty of photos before saying goodbye to your MBP.

15. PDE macrumors 68020

I still think the repair order is the place to point if there is an issue. Every time I've had something fixed they have gone through my computer carefully for cosmetic issues. Once they wrote that there was a large mark on the bottom of the case when it was really just a smudge. I wiped it off and told them to change it, which they did. If they don't inspect or don't write any comments, it means the computer is in great condition with no visible imperfections that stand out.

They obviously do this to protect themselves from false claims, but it works for the customer too when Apple messes up.

I think the crucial thing in this case is not to wait. Whenever I've had something happen, I call IMMEDIATELY so that there could be no time, or little time, for me to have messed things up myself.

16. MVApple macrumors 6502a

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Just a quick question. How can I time stamp my pics? I have a Nikon D-80, can I make a stamp in Aperture or something?

18. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I haven't used my d40 to take dated pictures, I just used a P&S that supported the time stamp when recording the image. I'm sure you could photoshop your dates/times though, or go old school and use a newspaper :p

19. pavenger macrumors regular

Your Camera records what is called EXIF data. In that data is the ISO, Aperture, focal Length, ect. But it also includes the time the photo was taken. cameras with built in GPS record the coordinates into the EXIF data as well. Most of this information can been seen when you "Get Info" for the document while your in preview or whatever you use to view your pictures

20. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I finally got a good customer relations rep today and he hooked me up with a new computer. I picked it up today at the local store and now I have a new computer. :D:D