Apple repair frustration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skygremlin, Aug 8, 2011.

1. skygremlin macrumors member

Has anybody had a repair experience like this with Apple? This is all in the past month and a half or so..

I have a MBP (2009 I think)
    1. The SD Card reader was not working right - I think I have a post on that here somewhere. Apple acknowledged that there was an issue and the system board had to be replaced.
    - Dropped of the laptop at an Apple store and board replaced.

2. After getting home I realized the cd drive won't read dvd's or cd's anymore. Back to Apple I go. This time they call me and inform me they have to replace more parts. They basically replaced everything but the screen and memory. System board, HDD, cd drive, some base plate that the keyboard is connected to and the trackpad… If I remember right..
    - Get the system home and everything is working.

3. Yesterday we tried to Skype with my parents and sister (GodDaughter's 4th birthday:) and the mic wasn't working, but we could plug in my IPhone buds and talk that way.
    - So back to Apple I go and now have to give it to them again to check that the mic is plugged in, and or replace it…

To add to my story before dropping off my machine for fix #2 I asked if they could order the part and call me when it arrives as I use this for both school and work. Which they were very nice and accommodating. BUT when I arrived to drop off my machine the the Genius bar check in guy told me I missed my apt (I was about a half hour late), and said I had to reschedule and there were none available that night I think about 8:30PM. I explained to him that all I received a call from the store that my replacement part was in and all I had to do was drop it off. To which I got an attitude and was again told "Look it's a half hour past your appointment, you have to make another appointment for another day and come back".

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

After three repairs, Apple will generally issue a replacement. I would go back to the store (with an appointment) and ask to speak with the manager. Explain to him that this is your third repair, and it is very inconvenient for you to be without your computer. Ask for a replacement and see what happens. Good luck!

3. skygremlin thread starter macrumors member

thanx - yeah I spoke with the manager that day - he said there wasn't much he could do at this point. But if I have to come back then he'd make sure I didn't have a problem anymore...

4. nickcao macrumors member

it must be the same part, and it should be in the 1st year.

5. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

from what i've heard... if u come in for 3 or more replacements u can ask for a new mbp... tell them urs is a lemon and had more problems than u can handle.

doesn't hurt to ask.