Apple repair Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mindtwisterz, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mindtwisterz macrumors newbie

hello all, this is my first post on the forums on my new macbook (1.83ghz cd white). I obtained this macbook from a friend of mine because it was "broken" and took it to the apple store to get a quote for repairs. I was shocked to find out that apple wanted $700 to fix this computer, giving it's the 2006 model, and the problem wasn't that it wouldn't boot or anything, the problem was it wouldn't charge the battery (i got the black X on my battery everytime i booted up the computer, still worked on AC adapter but not with battery) they told me there could be numerous problems and they'd fix everything. I declined the repair and took my laptop to my job and opened it up. turns out the battery connecter was dirty and looked broken so i swapped it out for like $20 on ebay and never had anything else wrong with my macbook.

Long story short my question is, if i were to pay the $700 and all they had to do was that same thing i did in about 20 minutes, would there be any type of refund or reimbursement, cause obviously im not goin to pay $700 to fix a macbook when i can buy a newer one for alittle more lol.

BTW on another note i can see why apple popularity is growing mac/imacs are pretty awesome im glad to finally own one :D

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Apple has never charged over $310 to fix my PowerBook. It had multiple issues both times it was repaired too. I don't know why they would charge so much for a $20 part + instalation.

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

When they quote you they give you the worst case scenario. I was quoted $1800 to fix my Powermac G5. They were to fix the logic board, processors and power supply. I was told it would be less if they didn't need to fix certain parts.

The $700 quote was probably for the logic board as it could have had issues charging the battery.

Luckily for you you found the culprit and fixed it yourself. Apple probably still would have charged you over $100 for the part and labor.