Apple repair questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

So, i took my 4 month old 15" Macbook Pro i7 to one of my local Apple stores last week because the trackpad was acting wonky (which I now see a thread about indicating it's a software problem) and a screw wouldn't go in on the bottom case. They repaired this on Saturday, but said that after running diagnostics on it they found some "further problems". The tech wouldn't be specific, his explanation was that the diagnostic program didn't pinpoint the problem, and that it needed to be shipped to the repair center to have it fixed rather than him guess at what parts they needed to order in. So he asked for my permission to send it in. I reluctantly gave it to him, because I had no idea what the problems were and was afraid to use it much longer. He coudn't give me a case number for tracking purposes because he said he didn't do the paperwork yet. But that I could call back later for a reference number.

I called back today (Sunday) and was told that they couldn't get a reference number for me, they had no way of accessing that info now.

So I'm not real happy that I've been out my Macbook Pro since Friday morning when I took the machine in, and I'm looking at a few more days before I get it back. And I'm getting weird treatment from these Apple Store employees.

I guess my question is does the service center that Apple ships their stuff to operate on Sundays? My computer supposedly shipped out Saturday at 3pm, and I'm assuming arrived today. I'm hoping they'll work on it Monday, send it out Tuesday and I'll get it Wednesday. But I'm so hoping it will be sooner. Being without it sucks big time, I feel like someone cut my arm off. I'm tempted to go buy a new one from the store and return it later when I finally get mine back.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

An actual, proper Apple Store shipped your computer out for repairs? That seems highly odd, usually they'll hold your computer at the store, order the parts in and repair it in-house.

3. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, an actual Apple retail store. I don't think it's that odd here in the US. I know I've had them ask if I wanted that option before. But like this time, I opted for the in store repair because I thought it would minimize my downtime. I was supposed to have this computer back Saturday. Now I feel like a crack addict with no crack.

4. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

anybody have any experience on this? I'm kind of pissed at my apple store.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple shipped my MBP off to Texas once or twice for some high end issues. Why the fuss? You're lucky they didn't just give you a broken machine and send you on your way, only to eventually return.

6. MBPnoob macrumors regular

Hopefully I will not derail too much, but my local Apple Store told me to take my 6 day old MBP 15" i5 to the Geek Squad to see what they can do with it....
    He said if they can't figure it out, to bring it back.

:(

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple Stores do ship out computers for repairs almost on a daily basis (depending on volume). Of course, if the problem is easily fixed (say HDD, RAM and sometimes even screen swaps) they'll do it in store but problems resulting with logic board or multi-part failures/defects are sent out.

8. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just annoyed that I have to be out it so long. The computer is 4 months old. And it sucks that I have to have it shipped off for any length of time. But my major annoyance comes from the way Apple is treating me through the store. They tell me they can't give me any type of repair status number or anything. That's BS. They are just making crap up to get me off the phone or out of their faces. And it's frustrating.

However, I called the apple care hotline and was able to get my Repair ID using my serial number and home telephone. It has said since about 11am Central time that it is "Product return pending". So I'm hoping it will be shipped out today and i'll get it tomorrow.

the lack of any way to get a status is disappointing. I'm glad that it won't be too long of a turnaround time, but what was supposed to be an overnight stay has turned into a 5 day ordeal.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it were me, I'd talk to the manager. I don't know of any Genius who would setup a repair and NOT give any information to the customer. Apple's system is setup pretty well to notify the customer of the whole repair process either via phone or e-mail.

I don't see why they couldn't give you a repair ID number, it takes less than a minute to enter your serial number and then write down the repair ID. I would say that is very poor service.

10. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree. I'm not all that thrilled with this store and don't plan to visit it again. I may have to give the manager a call and let him know how thrilled I am about all of this. And the reviews pulled up by google on this particular Apple store are pretty poor as well, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who's displeased. I should have gone to the location I normally go to.

At this point though, I'm not very impressed with Apple's tracking system either. It said it was repaired on the 20th and peparing for shipment on the 20th earlier today. I just checked now though, and it both steps have moved to the 21st. So I don't know what to expect now. I should get it by Wednesday, but I really want it now.