Apple repair, the worst experience ever!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lykos1986, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Lykos1986 macrumors member

Ok, maybe I will have a few replies into this post that will definitely saying that I am wrong and the Apple repair/genius is one of the best.

Well, my experience is totally different! And the good part is that it is my first experience with apple genius/repair.

So, at 22 of February I left my new 27” Cinema Display into a genius bar for repair. They told that they will order a new power supply and they will fix the problem in 3 – 4 days as they don’t have the part in stock and they must order it. I propose to take the display to another apple store that probably they will have the part in stock as this was my main display and it is for my work.

They said again that it will be ready in 4 days and suggest leaving the display there.

After four days I’ve call the apple store and ask for the repair status of the display. They told me that they don’t have the part yet but probably it will be there today. Again, two days later the same call with the answer that the part will be here today and I will have a call later this day in order to receive my display. Today, ten days later I’ve call again. The answer... We still don’t have the part and we are expecting it soon... with a window from 2 to 4 days!

WTF!!! This is the instant repair of the famous apple? One of the reasons that I moved to apple was and the expectation to have a good service!

One and a half year ago my Dell display was facing some problems (after 4 months of work) and they replace the display immediately with a brand new one, without to ask me anything at all!

The cinema display was only 3 days old! Congratulations apple... you create the worst experience ever!

2. ehoui, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

ehoui macrumors regular

I would go in and discuss the issue (calmly) with the manager. It seems like you are getting the run-around and most reasonable people will do their best by you. This is not typical, but it's no excuse to receive bad service. By the way, you probably have a good argument for them just avoiding all this hassle by replacing your new, 3-day old display with a new one...

1) I bought this display new from Apple and had it for 3 days.
    2) I brought it into the store immediately when I noticed there was a problem.
    3) You told me that it would take 2-4 days to get the part in.
    4) That time has come and gone and each time I have followed up with you diligently.
    5) I've done my part and been patient, but I think, no fault to you, I am not getting the response I would expect from Apple.
    6) Since this was a very recently, newly purchased display that I haven't even had the opportunity to enjoy much, shouldn't you just give me a new one so that we can all move on and be happy?

3. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

This is the worst customer service experienece you have suffered in your life? Wow....

Since it has taken longer than expected, ask for a loaner display until yours is fixed. I can't imagine that would be too tough. :rolleyes:

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

If it's only 3 days old you should just get a refund or replacement.

5. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

I ask for that as it is my work display and not a display that I am using just for fun... They told me that they can’t do that.

I was thinking that I will take a replacement too. It was only a 3 days old display. But no, they decide to order a part and they will fix it in 3 – 4 days... Aaaa... no... Probably in one month!

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I really wish people would but their location in. I guess 2/3 of this board is USA, but that still leaves a whole lot of people who are not! I don't know much about US consumer rights but I know some about UK (and a little about EU).

If people want to rant fine, if people want advice (posting in the advice forum!) tell us where you are! :rolleyes:

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The level of service is unacceptable. Please note that you bear part of the responsibility for accepting a repair rather than insisting on a replacement.

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

If it's a bigger issue, and independent Apple store will have technicians who have been at it for awhile, sometimes well more than a decade and they know the ins and outs of fixing gear.

While many official Apple Stores are very nice looking inside and have attentive salespeople, repair is not their specialty. For small stuff, it's OK and the Apple Store doesn't try and pretend to be a full service store like the independents.

I am sorry for your issue.

The official Apple Store where I am is a few miles from an authorized dealer and they send people there for issues such as yours.

9. ehoui macrumors regular

Right, and the OP did live up to his/her end of the bargain by following that route. I think this can be escalated to a manager who would see that this unfortunate incident is not fair to the OP and could be easily rectified. I can't imagine that a reasonable person with the right authority would not do the "right thing".

10. FilipH macrumors regular

So you are ranting here because you are waiting 10 days for it to be fixed?

Sounds to me they are simply waiting to get a spare part needed to fix your screen. Although 10 days is long enough, let's not exaggerate the problem here.

They acknowledge the problem + they are fixing it = take a chill pill and give them some time to solve it.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I agree with you in that sense, but they keep on giving him the runaround.

Why didn't they tell him, it will probably take up to two weeks to get the part, and then we will fix it. Honesty is the best policy instead of their thinking, "Gee, I don't want to lose this potential customer so I will tell them what they want to hear and lie to them, umm, OK, two-three days?"

12. ehoui macrumors regular

Waiting 10+ days with no confidence that the wait is about to be over on a 3-day old product is not normal and shouldn't be put up with. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, they did give him the runaround. It seems hard to argue that he is being unreasonable by being disappointed with this situation. I would be. I've had great Apple service (in Austin) and always got (more than) fair treatment. I guess I expect more.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I disagree. When they promise you 4 days, and it turns into 10 days with no progres, you have a right to be pissed off.

But frankly, you do know that Apple has a 14-day return policy, right? So if the display is only 3 days old, you should've just told them to give you a replacement.

14. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

listen to ehoui

Usually Apple repairs are quite fast, I've found, but they are definitely giving you an inappropriate run-around (especially since they quoted you a much faster turn around time originally).

But listen to ehoui, his (or her) advice is the best, and it will resolve your issue. :)

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What I like about my official Apple Store is that they are very nice to me and I send people there who use PCs and want to buy a Mac but then have someone to tutor them on it. Perfect solution.

What I like about my independent Apple Store is if I am ordering a part, based on what it is and it's availability in the pipeline, they will give me a very close estimate and in 25 years of dealing with them, if it was a part they could get in two days, it took two days. But on other parts, that would take more than a week, they told us, and trusting them, we were patient and while the wait wasn't fun, they always pulled through. We fixed everything from relatively new Macs, to Apple printers, to Apple IIe machines over the years.

16. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

This is the main problem. They can tell me from the beginning that the problem will take two or three weeks to be solved. Still, the missing display will be a huge problem for me but at least they will be honest and I will know the exact situation. It is really stupid to say after every phone call that we are expecting the part today...

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why are you complaining on an Internet forum instead of talking to a manager and demanding a replacement unit?

18. 63dot, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think he posted here to get solutions and experiences from Mac users as this is a Mac forum. Complaining about Apple or praising them is commonplace and a major mission of this site, at least since I have been here 11 years.

I don't think he came here to be insulted and if we treat people with questions such as these in a nicer way, they will bring others to this growing website.

19. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My son's MBP keyboard has "sticky" keys. We went to the Apple store and they have a policy to fix this sort of thing under Apple care but asked that we leave it there for 2 weeks. That was 2 weeks too long in the middle of the semester but we will take it in as soon as school is out. Of course we will back up his files first!

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Insulting him? Are you kidding me?

And thanks for the condescending attitude about the mission of the site. :rolleyes:

21. ladymacintosh macrumors member

ladymacintosh

Do you still have your receipt? I would take it to the store and tell them you want to return it instead of repair it and then buy another one. I would probably also insist that they take the new one out of the box and turn it on to make sure it is working properly before walking out the door.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The OP ordered through Amazon.

If he just got it, did he got rid of his other setup already?

OP needs to take a chill pill. Read the contract. Unless you pay big bucks for SLA, the contract should probably exclude delays due to unforeseen circumstances, such as delay in parts.

23. Pastor.D macrumors newbie

For some reason this situation doesn't fully pass the smell test.

1. In general Apple does not repair Cinema Displays in store. They tend to be a low volume store, and are very rare to see in a repair situation. Parts are not kept on hand, and training is not directed this way.

2. It would be very unusual for an Apple Store to choose to repair instead of returning an item that new - it also doesn't make sense to me why the OP wouldn't demand a new Display. No way I would take back that same Display with an issue that fast.

However, giving you the benefit of the doubt please know...

Individual stores have no way to control how fast parts arrive - in general it is fairly speedy (1 or 2 WORKING days), but if a part is back-ordered it can take additional time.

If I were you, I would make the request to return the previous model; if they give you any static ask to speak to a manager (you shouldn't even have to go this far).

24. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a crappy situation-- I know how difficult it can be to wait and be jerked around like that.

But, in all honesty, some blame needs to be placed on the OP. Part of being an informed consumer means researching return timeframes and guidelines. Had you done that, it would have been immediately obvious that you could have simply requested a replacement and avoided the headache.

25. Daud macrumors regular

If the purchase is from Amazon, why not to return it there, it is quite easy..