Apple repair ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Dec 23, 2010.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

So i sent in my MBP to get the screen replaced and some other stuff looked at. It is over 2 years old and is never turned off, and has been a true workhorse!!

In any case, the screen has pressure points..little white spots. I have never put any pressure on the screen or clamshell (lid). There is a small dent on the corner of the bottom case. Happened from when my Canon 1DS colliding with the corner long ago. Apple replaced my keyboard AFTER the dent occurred, and this was in store.

So i get a call from Apple repair center a few days ago, stating that they need to replace the lowered case and the LCD screen, which comes to the infamous amount of $1256 or something crazy.

So i asked them if my whole computer warranty is void, and they said no, only on the case. They WON'T replace the LCD screen without replacing the casing, which makes no sense. The dent is small and they said it affects no internals, thus i still have AC on everything else.

Anyone else have something like this happen? I guess i could just replace the screen myself, but. I am sure that will set me back $400 or so...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try another Apple store or reseller, maybe they will replace the screen for free

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

For that price i would sell it and get a new one. Consider a squaretrade warranty in the future which can cover accidental damage as well as the mechanicals.

4. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

Well i think that Apple notes this stuff in a repair log, so to speak. So i am sure if i go to another apple store, there will be notes about the "damage".

Perhaps i can get Apple to still replace it, as i do have it in writing that Apple agreed to replace the LCD screen..

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It may be that the replacement has to have that case although it seems rather unlikely. The white spots can be dead pixels or if you have a 06-07 MBP it can be related to an issue which is probably going to make you scream because fixing it might cost an [​IMG].

Apple has a list of 'Apple Authorized Repair Centers' which are computer stores with certification to repair Apple computers which may be a possibility for a less expensive repair. I would agree with other people here and DEFINITELY replace the computer all together; at a certain point, you don't want to put too much money into an older machine that will in the short term be either outdated or have something else break from age. I was in the same boat and I went with buying a new one and looking back I feel I made the best call.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

$400 is an unusually high figure for DIY repair on any of these.

What model do you have? If you're unaware of the model #, what does it look like?

7. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

The model of my MBP is an early 2008 with the Peryn processor. I don't have it in front of me to get the exact model.

I was just throwing out the $400 figure. I haven't looked up what the screen will cost.

I have been thinking about the idea of selling this machine in the coming months, when it still has AC left for the new owner, and plus to help the resale value a bit. I was thinking even about a new MBA? Really the only heavy editing i would do on it is my photos in Aperture, and i have the CS4 master collection. I would think it is more than capable? Perhaps a refurbed 13"? That way i can get AC on it,, and use that for 3 years...

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It sounds like an a1226 or a1260 Macbook Pro. They're worth fixing, since the cost wouldn't be too high and the repair difficulty isn't that bad. Considerably easier than getting to the hard drive of an iBook, that's for sure!

http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/261pico.htm

Buy this #00, it's the only one that will allow you remove the rear bezel without taking the whole machine apart.

Look at the bottom left and right of your display assembly. Do you see the two screws? They seem impossible to get to.

Turn your laptop to its side, so that the Q key is close to you and the P key is away from you. Open the display as far back as it will go. Then, with your elbow on the top of the frame(to the right of the webcam), and your hand on the palmrest, gently push back a tiny bit. Not enough to break the hinge, but enough that you are stretching the hinge.

Your screwdriver should now be able to take those two screws out at an angle.

Once those two screws are removed, remove the rear shell. Start from the bottom. This is a little scary, since it takes a ton of effort to remove. Do it like a band aid.

Now, there are 4 black screws on each side of the frame. Remove them all. DO NOT REMOVE ANY SCREWS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE LCD. Remove the webcam cables up top, and remove the display cable.

Remove the LCD. You may have to use a hair dryer on the edge to get the glue loose. I use a hakko 851. Be very careful around the edge with the webcam board.

Be careful with the sleep magnet, it's on the right side in a little slot. In your model there isn't a little brace over it securing it there like some of the older Macbook Pros. The LCD will come out. Rip it out. At the bottom, if you see the frame bending, make sure it bends towards the LCD so that when you put the new one in, it is flush with the frame of the new LCD. If you try and push the frame towards the keyboard, it will not be flush with the new LCD.

Put the new one in, repeat steps in reverse.

It sounds harder than it is. For the love of god, ignore the iFixit guide, they send you for a loop and have you opening the entire machine and doing tons of unnecessary work. This whole process takes under 15 minutes.

If your LCD is

a) LP154WP2-TLA*
    b) B154PW04 V.*
    c) LTN154BT02

then you can buy one here(yes, I'm shameless). http://www.rossmanngroup.com/screens-for-sale.php coupon code itwontcost400 will give you a 10% discount. You can also find it here a little cheaper, but it comes from China and the feedback is a little spotty. http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-Pro-15-...976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c4b2e30

d) N154C6-L0*

If it's this one, you may have a tougher time finding it. I don't have them for sale at the moment since I have low stock.

9. millerb7, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

11. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for that info, l.a!

Well, i got the computer back, and Apple replaced the battery, upper case, logic board and key board.

They are also replacing my screen!! I guess the genius that helped me didn't write up the repair correctly, and so now they are replacing it. It is the matte screen and it costs like $500!! so now i have basically a brand new computer!

They were so nice about it as well.

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Apple does have some Christmas spirit after all. :)