Apple repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DMoggo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. DMoggo macrumors regular

Hi all,

Dropped my laptop off for repair today and it’s ready for collection tomorrow.

The email states I need photo id to collect which I don’t have! Wasn’t informed of that beforehand.

Anyone collected without photo id? Any experience of this?

Thanks.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You do not have any ID? Apple has to confirm who they are giving the laptop to.

3. DMoggo thread starter macrumors regular

I have plenty of id just no photo id that’s all.

Have plenty off bank cards, bills etc

4. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

How is that even possible at this day and age? Do you have a student ID, a passport or anything that is government/state issued? What about the original repair slip? Perhaps you can try to reason with them that you do not have any photo ID. But it would be up to the people at the Genius bar at this point.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

In this day and age you need to have some type of official ID with your photo on it.

6. DMoggo thread starter macrumors regular

I have the repair email. No passport. Paper driving license, never had student photo id in my day.

I’ve managed to get to a healthy age without needing any.

Im sure the people at Apple are reasonable as I have the original invoice for laptop, box, I can even log it in if they bring it to me.

We shall see.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Your driver’s license doesn’t have your picture?!?

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Passport? Any other form of ID?

9. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

man the world is so big and nice. be aware that after Brexit u can't enter the EU without ID ;-)

10. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

How does anyone in 2017 not have some form of photo ID? Even my 85-year old grandfather has a photo ID. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple is not going to hand over a repaired computer to just anyone unless they know who they are giving it to. It's a liability issue that they take very seriously.

11. Jim400 macrumors newbie

You’ll be fine, I’ve never needed photo ID for this.

In the UK the driving license has only had a photo for the last 10-15 years, unless you move address there’s no need to ‘update’ to the newer photographic driving licenses. Quite a lot of people still have no photo ID and there’s no requirement for it (generally). In fact there’s quite a bit of resistance to any suggestion of national identity cards etc.

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

You're still using a paper driving license and don't have a card one? It was abolished in 2014, you can contact the DVLA and get a free photo ID. But no passport either?! There's only so many trips to Butlins one can surely make before at least contemplating a visit to Ireland, or even Amsterdam. £20 Ryanair flight, treat yourself one day.

For what it's worth you don't normally need photo ID to get these things but it's worth checking beforehand.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Bring your smartphone and show them your Facebook account and Instagram with all your selfie-glamour shots. You'll be the first to I.D. this way, and they may shake their heads and can't believe this is happening, but you should get your laptop back

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Not sure Facebook counts as official ID o_O

15. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

New Mac wrote:
    "But no passport either?"

Nothing unusual about that, at least here in the USA.
    I'm nearing 70, never had a passport.
    Spent a year in Europe, though... (courtesy of the U.S. Army)

16. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's pretty common in the USA for people to not own a passport, but you don't live on a tiny little island that's pretty much the same north to south. You've got the better part of a continent to explore without a passport and a long flight to see anywhere else. In the UK it's pretty rare to not own a passport, to have not even gone to Spain on a holiday or anything.

17. DMoggo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies both helpful and not

Got laptop back no issue. They didn’t even flinch when I said I have no photo ID.

To the poster who mentioned paper licenses, why get an ID one when the paper one is fine and valid?!

Did a lot of traveling and passport expired, no desire to renew it just to prove who I am!

Anyway many thanks.

18. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

One can’t go to Canada on a lark anymore without a passport so it’s definitely becoming needed more and more in the US.

19. DMoggo thread starter macrumors regular

No Facebook or Instagram, no desire to advertise my life to other people.