Apple repairing screens at the genius bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dauerhippo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I know no one is gonna believe this, but I swear it's true:

Friend took her brand new (1 day old) iPhone with a dead pixel to the genius bar at 5th ave store in NYC (the cube). Instead of replacing it - they took it to the back, and put on a new screen. The first time he came out, the screen wouldn't respond to touch, and the genius said "oh, how embarrassing" and he went back again. Came out 10 minutes later with another new screen and the phone worked fine.

I KNOW it was the same phone he came out with, b/c the back of the phone still had the BSE I put on for her, and the serial number of the phone was the same before and after.

I really thought Apple didn't do repairs, only exchanges on iPhones. Is this unique to the 5th Ave store?

Anyone know anything else about this?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

At the risk of sounding dumb...

BSE?

3. svndmvn Guest

best skin ever, I believe
    The repair story is kind of weird, probably because it was brand new? Or because it had the skin, still?

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's not inconceivable. The screen is most likely to be the product to become faulty out of the entire components and the phone is easier to disassemble compared to the 1st gen model. So why not just buy loads of replacement screens instead of making entire units. Especially now that they're trying to EOL the phone in prep of the arrival of the next phone

5. dauerhippo thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I was talking about bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Dunno about 5th Ave. specifically, but from what I've heard that's true. Similar thing happened to a friend of mine.

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

hahah i was thinking the same thing

well played sir

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

The only thing Apple Genius knows how to do is to open a refurbished phone and insert sim card.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Wow, seems like they'd just replace it... Seems easier.

10. scull20 macrumors newbie

I just had my phone recently replaced after the LCD went haywire from dropping it. The Appl store employee seemed like he was about to tell me about repairing the screen instead of replacing the phone...then stopped himself and said he wasnt allowed to say. I asked him why he stopped himself and he said that they were going to be changing they way they handle iPhone service in the near future but he was not allowed to tell me just yet. It may very well be true that they are going to be repairing instead of replacing.