Apple Replace 3.5 year Old Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robster3, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yep very amazed at the service. Have a late 09 21" iMac and the screen went black. Took it to local Apple service centre and they said the screen needs replacing. $50 for finding problem, $550 for parts and $100 labour.
    Told them to forget and take the HD out as its only 6 months old and i will come and get it. Over 3.5 years old not worth the money.
    I rang apple care about a AE that died and mentioned the iMac, he had a look at my profile and rang back and said he phoned the service centre and he is getting the screen replaced for free and a new AE that was 6 months out of warranty.
    The imac had no AC either.

Long rant but a good news story.

2. harlex macrumors member

Apple cares, but there hangs a lesson, always speak to the captain not the crew.

3. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Know now, just figured over 3.5 years old and 2.5 out of warranty they wouldn't do anything.

4. FuriousGreg macrumors member

I had a similar experience with my late 08' 24". The GPU crapped out six weeks or so after my AppleCare expired and when they tested it they found it was actually the motherboard causing a problem that burnt the card. I reluctantly asked how much it would cost to fix as my AC was over, they said not to worry and would do it for free. During the process they noticed that the screen had started banding so they replaced that too, no charge.

I've always gotten AppleCare and I always will.

5. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Got it back this morning, 12 hours after i spoke to Apple and that included getting the part in overnight from Sydney 7 hours away.
    Amazing service.

6. 92jlee macrumors 6502

7. Bear macrumors G3

Based on the context here, AE is an AiPort Express or Extreme and AC is AppleCare.