iPhone X Apple replace back glass this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Do you all think that Apple will eventually start replacing the back glass on our iPhones since they will be releasing 3 more iPhones this year with glass backs? Make no sense to me at all that you have to replace the entire phone if you crack the back glass. That’s ridiculous especially with these phones reaching over $1000 now. What do y’all think?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The 6.1 LCD iPhone isn’t rumored to have a Glass backing, its rumored to have an aluminum backing.

However, if the back glass is broken, the entire iPhone will be replaced for $99 if you have AppleCare+. The Glass backing cannot be repaired or replaced by itself.

Also, assuming it were possible, it would just take longer for Apple to repair the iPhone with a Glass backing, where it would make it a faster transition to replace the Whole iPhone and the Genius’s work efforts can be empasized elsewhere.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

no it's needed for wireless charging.

4. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

No, because replacing the rear glass on iPhone 8 and X takes about an hour.

All components including the logic board and wireless coil need to be removed from the midframe. Then the frame is submerged and heated up to remove the glass. This requires too much time and skill for a Genius to do.

For whatever reason, Apple is now gluing the rear glass to the midframe, unlike iPhone 4 which had a removable piece.

5. orev macrumors 6502

Structural glass would need to be relatively thick like the 4 was. The X and 8 can have thin glass because the metal frame provides the structural support.

6. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

Some rumors have definitely pointed to the 6.1” LCD having a glass back for wireless charging. The frame itself is what’s been consistently rumored to be aluminum.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Majority rumors/predictions I have read indicated the 6.1 LCD model to utilize an aluminum backing, which would be reflective a cheaper entry price point under the 5.8 iPhone X, which also would make sense if it lacks the wireless charging feature as well, both which would accommodate a significant drop in costs in manufacturing. I highly doubt the 6.1 LCD iPhone will have a glass backing, which I believe Apple wants the wireless charging to be reserved for the more expensive, larger 5.8 and 6.5 iPhone X.

8. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

That's all well and good, but it doesn't make the statement I responded to any less inaccurate.

9. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

6.1 will have a glass back. But aluminium on the sides instead of stainless steel. You'll see this in September.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re right, it doesn’t. But nor did I ever insinuate anything you said was inaccurate otherwise, I simply contradicted based your post based on other reports have said reflecting the 6.1 altered changes to start at a lower price point, hence aluminum being one of them. But anything is possible given the unknown factors.