Apple replace logic board for free?!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mexicancarcass, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mexicancarcass macrumors newbie

I have a three year old macbook pro and a few days ago I got the kernel panic screen. I tried to reinstall leopard but nothing worked. I brought it to the store and they tested it it and found out the logic board was broken. He said that repair was covered by Apple even though my warranty was up and I have no protection plan.

Do you know why they cover this $600 part and repair for free? I'm not complaining, I was just curious as to why mine was covered.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably the Nvidia 8600 graphics card issue.

3. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

Most likely it was covered under an REP or repair extension program. Apple has these for certain model laptops and it will cover a repair even if it is out of warranty

4. Sn0wball macrumors regular

A lot of logic boards appear to die on MBPs, don't they?

It's making me a little anxious for when I buy my first MBP.

Buying Applecare would push it over £1850 ($2825) for a current low/mid-range 15" (2.66GHz, 4GB, 320GB @ 5400RPM, anti-glare).

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only people with problems usually post it, don't forget that. If you browse other sites for Dell, HP, etc., you will find they have just as many issues if not more. As with the GPU issue that's really NVIDIA's fault, not Apple's.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

And I think Nvidia paid a lot of money to refund Apple for all the MBPs serviced

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Those logic boards have a faulty graphics chip which ends up dying after heat cycling, they have an outstanding recall on them, and apple extened the logic board warranty to 3 years on all models that have that graphic chip.

You didn't get lucky, it's part of a recall that started in '08 I believe.