Apple replace logic board for free?!!

mexicancarcass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I have a three year old macbook pro and a few days ago I got the kernel panic screen. I tried to reinstall leopard but nothing worked. I brought it to the store and they tested it it and found out the logic board was broken. He said that repair was covered by Apple even though my warranty was up and I have no protection plan.

Do you know why they cover this $600 part and repair for free? I'm not complaining, I was just curious as to why mine was covered.

SwitchingtoMAC

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Massachusetts
Most likely it was covered under an REP or repair extension program. Apple has these for certain model laptops and it will cover a repair even if it is out of warranty

Sn0wball

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
England
A lot of logic boards appear to die on MBPs, don't they?

It's making me a little anxious for when I buy my first MBP.

Buying Applecare would push it over £1850 ($2825) for a current low/mid-range 15" (2.66GHz, 4GB, 320GB @ 5400RPM, anti-glare).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
A lot of logic boards appear to die on MBPs, don't they?

It's making me a little anxious for when I buy my first MBP.

Buying Applecare would push it over £1850 ($2825) for a current low/mid-range 15" (2.66GHz, 4GB, 320GB @ 5400RPM, anti-glare).
Only people with problems usually post it, don't forget that. If you browse other sites for Dell, HP, etc., you will find they have just as many issues if not more. As with the GPU issue that's really NVIDIA's fault, not Apple's.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Only people with problems usually post it, don't forget that. If you browse other sites for Dell, HP, etc., you will find they have just as many issues if not more. As with the GPU issue that's really NVIDIA's fault, not Apple's.
And I think Nvidia paid a lot of money to refund Apple for all the MBPs serviced

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have a three year old macbook pro and a few days ago I got the kernel panic screen. I tried to reinstall leopard but nothing worked. I brought it to the store and they tested it it and found out the logic board was broken. He said that repair was covered by Apple even though my warranty was up and I have no protection plan.

Do you know why they cover this $600 part and repair for free? I'm not complaining, I was just curious as to why mine was covered.
Those logic boards have a faulty graphics chip which ends up dying after heat cycling, they have an outstanding recall on them, and apple extened the logic board warranty to 3 years on all models that have that graphic chip.

You didn't get lucky, it's part of a recall that started in '08 I believe.