Apple replaced my logic board, did I get Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBMill, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TheBMill Guest

This might be a lot of wishful thinking on my behalf. But, I have an early 2010 Macbook Pro. 2.66GHz Intel Core i7

It was heating up and randomly shutting off, so I went to the Apple Store and they replaced the logic board.

They replaced it with a 2.8ghz intel core i7, which was pretty cool of them.

My question is: Do I now have thunderbolt?

The only reason I ask is because under System Information, there's something that says "Thunderbolt" and "Thunderbolt: No hardware found."

I don't have anything Thunderbolt ready to test this out on, but does this System Info reflect a port you actually have? Is there a way of finding out without buying a thunderbolt drive?

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. clyde2801, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Pulled up the specs on 2.8 i7 macbook pros on the refurbed section of Apple store. There's two possibilities...

a) 2.8 i7 dual core with Nvidia 330 GT330M.(mid 2010) No mention of TB.

b) 2.8 i7 dual core with HD3000 graphics (base model, early 2011) Comes with TB.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The Thunderbolt model have 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, and 2.9GHz i7.

The 2.8GHz i7 is the old 2010 model which only has the Minidisplay port

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My 2007 iMac running 10.6.8 says the same thing. Even my tray loading iMac G3 says the same thing, but with regards to FireWire.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, you got the updated high-end motherboard from the 2010 MacBook Pro release.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

this is what it says when you do have a thunderbolt port (or 2 as in my case)

Code:
    MacBook Pro:

Vendor Name:	Apple, Inc.
      Device Name:	Macintosh
      UID:	0x0001000D164BC9A0
      Firmware Version:	11.1
      Port:
      Link Status:	7
      Link Controller Firmware Version:	0.11.4
      Port:
      Link Status:	7
      Link Controller Firmware Version:	0.11.4

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Awhile back when I updated my 08 MBP to Snow Leopard 10.6 I noticed in System Info that it was there. Some where in a Snow Leopard update it showed up. I'm assuming it's just like any firmware update you will see it there.

This is jst like when we had the iSight Camera, it was there. Then when Apple removed the firmware for iSight (the camera that attaches to your Mac)... that's no longer there.

8. specik macrumors 6502

specik

It's highly unlikely that you got Thunderbolt. Sometimes, when a particular logic board is not available, they replace it with the next comparable part (Substitute part). That part is usually really close specification wise minus a minor spec bump sometimes.