Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brail-tall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
That's some serious BS. I would demand on all new MPB at this point.
I took it back to the Apple store. The "Genius" Technician took it to the back and opened it up. He claims that he can't see any signs of water damage or corrosion. They completely Denied me any recourse.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Terrible that they had to replace the original logic board. Some people seem to think refurbished Apple products are great, but in reality, they never bother to look beyond the shiny new chassis.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Terrible that they had to replace the original logic board. Some people seem to think refurbished Apple products are great, but in reality, they never bother to look beyond the shiny new chassis.

Just so people do not misinterpret, I don’t see where the word "refurbished" has been used anywhere in this thread except for yours. They clearly replaced the original logic board with a piece of junk but that doesn’t mean it was refurbed.
Buy actual Apple Refurbished products all the time, have never had any issue.

Reactions: junkw

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Just so people do not misinterpret, I don’t see where the word "refurbished" has been used anywhere in this thread except for yours. They clearly replaced the original logic board with a piece of junk but that doesn’t mean it was refurbed.
Buy actual Apple Refurbished products all the time, have never had any issue.

The logic board is a refurbished component.

Apple sells refurbished products which use refurbished components. Warranty repairs also use refurbished components.

We've seen before water damaged logic boards being used in Apple refurbished products.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Just so people do not misinterpret, I don’t see where the word "refurbished" has been used anywhere in this thread except for yours.
Aside from the title and first post you mean? To be clear I do think apple refurbished products are good generally speaking.

I’m not sure that I see water damage here, and if there really was extensive water damage I would think it would affect functionality. Is it possible that the “corrosion” is just messy flux from soldering?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I’m not sure that I see water damage here, and if there really was extensive water damage I would think it would affect functionality. Is it possible that the “corrosion” is just messy flux from soldering?

There is clear evidence of corrosion in photos #7 and #9.

Hynix doesn't sell DDR3L with corrosion under the package. NEC doesn't sell tantalum capacitors that way either.

Corrosion is like mold. It may not cause problems immediately and is likely to cause problems in the future.

Brail-tall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
There is clear evidence of corrosion in photos #7 and #9.

Hynix doesn't sell DDR3L with corrosion under the package. NEC doesn't sell tantalum capacitors that way either.

Corrosion is like mold. It may not cause problems immediately and is likely to cause problems in the future.
I Think the Most amount of Corrosion is around that Chip in Pic 1 & 2. It's really a pretty thick amount of white corrosion around the legs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.