Apple Replaced my MBP!!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
I decided to suck it up and finally head on into the Apple store. I brought in my MBP and broken charger to the genius bar. My computer did not click correctly and the battery was loose inside the computer because whoever installed my replacement battery broke the screw tabs. The battery sucked. So I brought it in and had a genius look at it. He said "you've had so many repairs on this computer, how do you feel about a new one?" I said "I feel great about that!" So he grabbed a new 2.4ghz i5, 500gb 13" MBP and exchanged mine for it. Yay! I just installed my old 500gb HDD in the HDD bay and the new HDD in my OptiBay. Now I have a computer with 1TB storage, but my 8GB of RAM is only running at 1067mhz (I pulled the upgrades from my old MBP before I went in). He replaced my old charger and even gave me the new one from the box! I am so happy with my new MBP!

FWIW, it was a 13" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2010 MBP.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Gah your so lucky... My macbook pro had to be sent in 4 times for repairs... and I never even got an apology...

First the logic board went and the wifi card...took it in got them replaced (2 week wait) I also asked for them to put lion back on which they noted down and said would happen...

I collected the mbp.. leopard was installed.. not even snow leopard just leopard... so I had to sit in store for an hour while they imaged it with Lion... very annoying.. I take the thing home only to find the backlight in the keyboard has not been plugged in properly and the serial was 000000 and hadn't been updated...

Back again another long trip... no apology... backlight cable took 2 days to sort out (2 days just to plug in a cable) and then serialised.

Take it back again... this time everything working however the headphone jack wouldn't hold headphones in (they didn't click in) so ANOTHER long trip all the way back to the store... another week wait to get a logic board replacement.

Not one single apology so annoying...

Edit: oh and my battery managed to get 10% degraded in all the process which I don't even know how thats possible unless it was swapped around... I had 100% healthy battery its now 89-90% after all the repairs...

Comment

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
Nice. I have had my video card die THREE times in my MBP. Apple let me know they were doing me favors by fixing it. Consider yourself lucky as it is not in the norm.
If it's within warranty, don't they have to fix it for free? It wouldn't be a favor then, but a legal obligation.

Comment

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
That's great! I have had apple replace and upgrade my 15" mid-2010 MacBook pro because I got electric shocks off it. They have also replaced my old iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4 as it had been repaired so much. It's one of the main reasons I love apple their warranty service is fantastic.

Comment

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
@ OP.. They did the same for me. I took my pro in 7x since I had it and they offered to give me a new one. How many times did you take yours in? Maybe there is some sort of magic number when they give you a new one? Anyway, congrats on your new Pro.

P.S. did you get the AppleCare with it?

Comment

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Apple replaced my MBP after 3-4 failed repair attempts. Although they did not "offer" me a new MBP I was polite, yet firm, in requesting a replacement. The store manager agreed and it was replaced with the newer refreshed model. I realize Apple is not the perfect company as many on these forums claim it to be, but it is service like this that makes me a loyal Apple customer. Glad things worked out for you!!

Comment

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
@ OP.. They did the same for me. I took my pro in 7x since I had it and they offered to give me a new one. How many times did you take yours in? Maybe there is some sort of magic number when they give you a new one? Anyway, congrats on your new Pro.

P.S. did you get the AppleCare with it?
I had sent my old MBP in multiple times. I had the display assy replaced twice, topcase twice, battery once, HDD once, logic board once, disc drive once, magsafe assy once, and the speaker assy once.

My old MBP had AppleCare on it, but the genius told me to call AppleCare to get a prorated refund on what was left on it. I can then buy new AppleCare for this MBP.

Anyone have any tips for a RAID configuration in a MBP?

Edit: For what it's worth, I decided to get it replaced now rather than when the new MBP comes out, so that I can use my OptiBay in it.

Last edited:
Comment

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I had sent my old MBP in multiple times. I had the display assy replaced twice, topcase twice, battery once, HDD once, logic board once, disc drive once, magsafe assy once, and the speaker assy once.

My old MBP had AppleCare on it, but the genius told me to call AppleCare to get a prorated refund on what was left on it. I can then buy new AppleCare for this MBP.

Anyone have any tips for a RAID configuration in a MBP?

Edit: For what it's worth, I decided to get it replaced now rather than when the new MBP comes out, so that I can use my OptiBay in it.
Nice. I had to buy my applecare but I only had 2 weeks left on it anyway. ;)

Comment

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
The article on Gizmodo about price dropped MBP's and the upcoming WWDC makes me wish I waited... Oh well, this is still a huge upgrade from what I had.

Comment

Bazzy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
The article on Gizmodo about price dropped MBP's and the upcoming WWDC makes me wish I waited... Oh well, this is still a huge upgrade from what I had.
Hi,

You have company - I am in the exact same position! Apple replaced my June 2010 17" i7 2.66 UMBP with the current one only a few days ago - very happy indeed but also a case of so near, so far & wondering what I'll be missing out on!!

Bazzy!

Comment

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
I'm so happy with this computer! No more random checkerboard graphics glitches because of Apple's ****** 320M drivers.

Comment

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
There used to be a three strikes policy on Apple computers. After the 3rd repair within the warranty window they'd replace it. When my first Macbook went in for its third repair, more than one rep told me that if it had any more problems they'd replace it. Unfortunately, it didn't have any more problems.... :D

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If it's any consolation, I doubt they'd have replaced it with a new model once they were out, since a 2011 was already a nice bump up.

On the bright side, you could sell this one for considerably more than your old one.

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes, but I use my computers as a tool, not to sell 10 months after purchase.

Plus, they tend to replace computers with the current equivalent model.
What I meant was that if you really want the new model, selling this replacement would cover a lot more of the cost than your old one would.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.