Apple Replaced my MBP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, May 20, 2012.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I decided to suck it up and finally head on into the Apple store. I brought in my MBP and broken charger to the genius bar. My computer did not click correctly and the battery was loose inside the computer because whoever installed my replacement battery broke the screw tabs. The battery sucked. So I brought it in and had a genius look at it. He said "you've had so many repairs on this computer, how do you feel about a new one?" I said "I feel great about that!" So he grabbed a new 2.4ghz i5, 500gb 13" MBP and exchanged mine for it. Yay! I just installed my old 500gb HDD in the HDD bay and the new HDD in my OptiBay. Now I have a computer with 1TB storage, but my 8GB of RAM is only running at 1067mhz (I pulled the upgrades from my old MBP before I went in). He replaced my old charger and even gave me the new one from the box! I am so happy with my new MBP!

FWIW, it was a 13" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2010 MBP.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Nice. I have had my video card die THREE times in my MBP. Apple let me know they were doing me favors by fixing it. Consider yourself lucky as it is not in the norm.

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Gah your so lucky... My macbook pro had to be sent in 4 times for repairs... and I never even got an apology...

First the logic board went and the wifi card...took it in got them replaced (2 week wait) I also asked for them to put lion back on which they noted down and said would happen...

I collected the mbp.. leopard was installed.. not even snow leopard just leopard... so I had to sit in store for an hour while they imaged it with Lion... very annoying.. I take the thing home only to find the backlight in the keyboard has not been plugged in properly and the serial was 000000 and hadn't been updated...

Back again another long trip... no apology... backlight cable took 2 days to sort out (2 days just to plug in a cable) and then serialised.

Take it back again... this time everything working however the headphone jack wouldn't hold headphones in (they didn't click in) so ANOTHER long trip all the way back to the store... another week wait to get a logic board replacement.

Not one single apology so annoying...

Edit: oh and my battery managed to get 10% degraded in all the process which I don't even know how thats possible unless it was swapped around... I had 100% healthy battery its now 89-90% after all the repairs...

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

If it's within warranty, don't they have to fix it for free? It wouldn't be a favor then, but a legal obligation.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

6. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

That's great! I have had apple replace and upgrade my 15" mid-2010 MacBook pro because I got electric shocks off it. They have also replaced my old iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4 as it had been repaired so much. It's one of the main reasons I love apple their warranty service is fantastic.

7. Geo411m macrumors regular

@ OP.. They did the same for me. I took my pro in 7x since I had it and they offered to give me a new one. How many times did you take yours in? Maybe there is some sort of magic number when they give you a new one? Anyway, congrats on your new Pro.

P.S. did you get the AppleCare with it?

8. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Apple replaced my MBP after 3-4 failed repair attempts. Although they did not "offer" me a new MBP I was polite, yet firm, in requesting a replacement. The store manager agreed and it was replaced with the newer refreshed model. I realize Apple is not the perfect company as many on these forums claim it to be, but it is service like this that makes me a loyal Apple customer. Glad things worked out for you!!

9. AlphaDogg, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I had sent my old MBP in multiple times. I had the display assy replaced twice, topcase twice, battery once, HDD once, logic board once, disc drive once, magsafe assy once, and the speaker assy once.

My old MBP had AppleCare on it, but the genius told me to call AppleCare to get a prorated refund on what was left on it. I can then buy new AppleCare for this MBP.

Anyone have any tips for a RAID configuration in a MBP?

Edit: For what it's worth, I decided to get it replaced now rather than when the new MBP comes out, so that I can use my OptiBay in it.

10. Geo411m macrumors regular

Nice. I had to buy my applecare but I only had 2 weeks left on it anyway. ;)

11. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The article on Gizmodo about price dropped MBP's and the upcoming WWDC makes me wish I waited... Oh well, this is still a huge upgrade from what I had.

12. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

You have company - I am in the exact same position! Apple replaced my June 2010 17" i7 2.66 UMBP with the current one only a few days ago - very happy indeed but also a case of so near, so far & wondering what I'll be missing out on!!

Bazzy!

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I'm so happy with this computer! No more random checkerboard graphics glitches because of Apple's ****** 320M drivers.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

There used to be a three strikes policy on Apple computers. After the 3rd repair within the warranty window they'd replace it. When my first Macbook went in for its third repair, more than one rep told me that if it had any more problems they'd replace it. Unfortunately, it didn't have any more problems.... :D

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If it's any consolation, I doubt they'd have replaced it with a new model once they were out, since a 2011 was already a nice bump up.

On the bright side, you could sell this one for considerably more than your old one.

16. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes, but I use my computers as a tool, not to sell 10 months after purchase.

Plus, they tend to replace computers with the current equivalent model.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What I meant was that if you really want the new model, selling this replacement would cover a lot more of the cost than your old one would.

18. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

19. clipsedsm95 macrumors member

When my charger for my MBP broke the 4th day of owning it they just gave me a new MBP