Apple replaced my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, May 29, 2013.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

So I bought a base model rMBP with the 2.3Ghz processor back in June 2012.
    Upon getting it and hearing people talk about the LG vs Samsung displays, I checked mine. It was an LG display. However, the display looks fine to me and had no issues so I didn't bother exchanging like many others did.

Around October, I started having image retention issues and I mean bad image retention, not the slight kind you have to test and look really hard for. I had to wait until December to get it fixed since I'm a full time student and needed my MacBook daily.

December rolled around and Apple replaced my display with a Samsung display. This time the Samsung display had no image retention issues (I tested). However, it had several LCD mura's (white spots) on the screen that were also very noticeable. I yet again was forced to wait until May for my school semester to end to have it repaired.

At the beginning of this month, I sent it in a 2nd time for repair, when I received it back the display was noticeably discolored. I don't mean slightly yellow, I mean very yellow. I was getting annoyed at this point because I paid over $2,000 for a computer with emphasis on the display, yet all my issues stemmed from the display.

For a 3rd time I sent it in for repair. Apple was able to replicate the issue so obviously it wasn't just "needed to dry" or a bad color calibration like most people told me. They replaced the display again.

I got it back, and this display was worse than the previous. Here it is next to my iMac.
    [​IMG]

After 3 repairs I was tired of this. My warranty was almost up as well. This time I contacted Apple Customer Relations, and after about 2 weeks of different processes and approvals the Senior Advisor needed to do, I just received a brand new rMBP. I also got the spec bump model (2.4 vs 2.3)

When my iPhone 4S lock button randomly stopped working, they overnighted me a new phone. I've only had 1 issue with my iPad, and they also replaced that with no issue or hassle.

The fact that they use overnight shipping on all their repairs make them so much more seamless than any other company I've dealt with.

All and all, I am very happy and this is one of the things I love best about Apple. I actually use an HTC One for a phone, but Apple definitely has the best customer support of any company in my opinion.

2. fratey macrumors regular

I'm very glad Apple support gave you the help you deserved. Apple sent me a $960 quote (yes, that's more than the second hand value of the entire computer itself) to repair the screen on my MacBook Air which spontanely combusted within warranty in front of my eyes - despite me taking it all the way from junior to senior to Customer Relations. Customer Relations didn't even bother replying to my email after my last phone call.

After three months of phone calls including a month wait time because someone apparently was on vacation, I gave up.

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Wow, I've never had any experience like that. Did they think it was from accidental damage?

4. fratey macrumors regular

They basically said "it might be from accidental damage, so we can't repair it under warranty."

Which is basically what I would expect from Acer or HP, not a company making $1800 laptops renowned for their wonderful support.

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Aw man. I'm sorry to hear that :/

6. FlorisVR macrumors newbie

At least they replaced it!

However, I've read about a couple other people having a yellowish display which had to do with bad colour calibration, which could be fixed by calibrating it or adding a new colour profile. Not saying that this was the problem, since I guess that Apple also checks those things, but it could have been the issue.

7. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Yea it def sounds like its getting harder and harder to get replacements. Scares me a bit on new stuff since I always figured it was rather easy. Then again I have never had a problem with an apple product (knock on wood lol).

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Guess I'm happy for having AppleCare on my rMBP until September 2015 .....