Apple replaced my screen BUT...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by John585, Jun 19, 2009.

1. John585 macrumors member

I have the older aluminum macbook with the 9C8C screen before they replaced it. I asked the genius to replace the display with one of the newer screens and that I wasn't happy with the quality of the one I had. After two days I come home to find out that its the same screen model and the black levels were worse then that of the original. Should I call apple care and get them to replace it again or just settle with what I have now.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Calibrate the new display, then if it's still garbage, go back maybe?

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Call them and tell them you want the latest screen there is and see what they say.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well, they are replacing it with the same part it came with right?

Why would they put a new screen in it from say the newer MBP of the same size... you'd have no motivation to upgrade...

5. John585 thread starter macrumors member

They did replace it with the same model and everything the only difference was the manufacturing date. I was hoping to get the better screens that were put into the macbooks before they were updated at WWDC. The colors, black levels and viewing angles are worse on this new display and its really annoying.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You don't get to pick which parts Apple repairs your computer with. Apple did the right thing by replacing your screen with the same one. You can go back and try to ask but don't get disappointed or angry if they decline you.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Exactly, you bought the MacBook with that screen, why should you receive a free upgrade?

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

yea what kind of foolishness just because you buy a car one year then the next year a new model comes out and it get better performance you cant ask for the better parts in your new car and expect to get them for free im surprised they even gave you a replacement on a screen that worked fine... that "worse" screen you got is karma for you you should've been happy with what you had...

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If there really is a problem, tell them to repair it. But if it's you not being happy of the screen/image quality compared with those of a MacBook Pro's today, you're going to have to live with it.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...or buy the new computer....

11. 8theapple macrumors regular

sell your old uMB and get the new MBP =D

12. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

[​IMG]

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you've got a crap screen, raise hell. Apple shouldn't have put those into $1300 to $1700 notebooks, period.

14. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's definitely true.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What is a "crap" screen? Sure there is a difference between the MacBook then and the new MacBook Pro but can you still function and use the MacBook with the "crap" screen? I think sometimes people read the forums and see what others are getting and suddenly decide that's what they should get even it makes a almost no difference because they will never use it or the really is not that big of a difference (ex. support for 8GB of RAM). So what if the image goes negative when you view it on an angle, you're not using it from there anyway and if you read the forums, you can calibrate the profile to offset the problem a bit.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If in the Glenn Ford bitchslap picture above (lmao, btw) you can't differentiate the brunette's hair from the black background, it's a crap screen. When your friend fires up his $200 netbook next to your macbook, and you think 'Holy crap, that display's gorgeous!', likewise. When it's painful to watch a black and white movie on your $1300 or $1700 portable, you know that Apple screwed you. When Apple itself quietly updates the screen without telling anybody, it's a good sign that they admitted (at least to themselves) that they made a mistake.

Honestly, there are some people who will defend every decision that apple makes, period. They would rejoice and dance if Steve Jobs dropped his trousers from on high and pi$$ed on their heads.

OTOH, if you're display was working just fine for you, and you decided you wanted to replace it just because you heard the newer ones were better, then to heck with you. My 9c8c is acceptable as well-though the contrast is better on my powerbook!

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

You didn't tell us why you were having your screen replaced?

19. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

An LG Philips LP133WX2(TL)(C5)