Apple REplaced your Nvidia 8600GT with a new motherboard????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zarathu, Aug 2, 2011.

1. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

If you got the replacement for your macbook pro, what else did they do, or how did the replacement go?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

They replace the motherboard with the same model, and send you on your way. That's it.

What did you expect?

3. Jexta macrumors member

The graphics card is built into the logic board of apple portables. To replace it, you have to replace the whole board.

On a side note, the machines are extensively tested and if another issue was found during testing that you may not have been aware of, then this part may be replaced also.

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

5. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Well, they replaced my 2008 MBP with the 2010 in my sig so that not "it" really...

6. zarathu thread starter macrumors regular

zarathu

If you read some of the posts you would know that what you state is not exactly how it works. Sometimes they upfgrade the system, sometimes they use an upgraded Logic board, sometimes they even replace drives. Just wondered.

7. zarathu thread starter macrumors regular

zarathu

8. rjt1000 macrumors newbie

My graphics card failed while overseas and I was able to get the motherboard / graphics card replaced at an Apple authorized repair service. They gave me a bit of a run-around and tried to charge me partially for it, but in the end they replaced it for free.

It is a good idea to educate yourself about this issue because not all the service providers are equally knowledgeable or willing to deal with this, especially in places where there are no Apple Stores / "geniuses".

I found this huge and frequently updated database of customer experiences with this issue very helpful in troubleshooting my issue and educating myself about how to get it repaired for free:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html