Apple Replacement iPhone More Broken Than Original

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello everyone. On June 26 I traveled to San Luis, CA to replace my expiring iPhone 4 because my warranty was up the 29th. The headphone jack was a little loose and I wanted to get it fixed. They replaced it and I was happy. Well a couple of days ago I tried putting my headphones in my new iPhone for the first time and they did not connect properly. It seems the headphone slot on my iPhone is too big and the headphones slip right out. I've tried 3 types of apple headphones and they all slip out. Well my warranty is up and now I can't get a replacement for a replacement. Do you think it's possible to have apple replace it even though it's out of warranty because they gave me a faulty device in the first place? The reason I didn't check in the 2 day window about my headphones is because I don't use my iPhone for the gym I have an iPod and I didn't notice it. However even if I did notice it, the closest apple store is 2 hours away from me in San Luis and gas is obviously too expensive to rush back over there especially with school. Thanks in advance for any help or information provided. I really do appreciate it.

2. Superman80, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

Superman80 macrumors regular

You get a 90 day warranty with replacement product or to the end of your warranty period, whichever is longer, so it is still in warranty

From their T&C

A replacement product or part, including a user-installable part
    that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided
    by Apple, assumes the remaining warranty of the original product
    or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair,
    whichever provides longer coverage for you.

3. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow that's great news. Is there confirmation on this by any chance?

4. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Idk how to confirm it, but it is true.

5. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Awesome! You seriously made my night. I was upset that I lost the main feature of my iPhone but I haven't. Thank you so much.

6. Superman80 macrumors regular

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I can confirm it as true too.... Should be no problem to get it fixed.

Just be sure to bring the headphones you are trying to use with you when you go back.

And have some SM Style BBQ for me please!

8. Peterg2, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Apple QC on remanufactured phones has gone to hell. They used to be better than a new one but that does not seem to be the case any more from a lot of anecdotal evidence. In my case, I had my second in a row iphone 4 with a proximity sensor problem replaced at the genius bar with a 5K serial number phone and the microphone was broken (apart from appalling light leakage) making phone calls one-way affairs.

I took mine right back and told them I did not want another 5K and received one with a 61xxx serial number which may be a new phone used for replacements. Perfect phone. no sensor problem, no light leakage, no dead pixels.

9. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Actually my replacement iphone's serial number starts with 88125. No 5K listed which now makes me even more scared. Is this a new phone that's just faulty by default?

10. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I really don't know. 5K is definitely remanufactured but having 61 or 88 indicates the factory. It has all become a bit murky. However, taking the example of proximity sensor issues, there has been a fair number of reports with white iphones having this problem, indicating that in a few areas, problems have not been eliminated with the passage of time.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

The key to happiness with Apple in today's environment, is to lower your expectations to the level of Dell or Acer, then if you get a better product, consider yourself lucky.

Sadly Apple has allowed product quality to drop, and therein lies the rub.

12. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

However, their support - at least in my experience with the Apple stores - continues to be outstanding. If that fails then they will be on the road to Dell, who used to be *excellent* in that area in the 90s.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

did you ever consider calling them?

14. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I've a similar problem that my replacement iPhone may need replaced too :( i booked into the genius store about 6-7 weeks ago with a faulty power button and they replaced it with no questions asked which i was delighted with but now my new phone has a mind of its own :confused: every time i'm on a call the phone automatically turns on the loud speaker while it's still at my ear, VERY ANNOYING !!! :mad:

15. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

another lemon...

Took my day 1 iPhone to the apple store because of home button issues... They quickly swapped me out even though I was 9 days out of my warranty. I was thrilled until I used the phone for a couple days... This replacement sucks!
    My original iPhone had a beautiful screen, the one with the nice blue tint. This new one has the crappy looking yellow tint, terrible light leakage, and the battery absolutely blows! My year old iPhone's battery could run circles around this one... I'll be taking it back for another replacement before my 90 days is up...

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It sounds like the proximity sensor issue. The phone doesn't know it's against your head and doesn't disable the keypad (if that senario applies). Or an iPhone 3 case on an iPhone 4 like I did. :)