Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Mac has been sent to an Apple Service Provider courtesy of an Executive Support agent. After 2 Apple stores saying how my Mac only has one problem (being a creaky hinge) the service provider has now confirmed my original idea that there is Hard Drive issues so they're replacing the hard drive, the whole top case is being replaced, the trackpad is being replaced, the screen is being replaced, the hinge is being replaced.

Do you think Apple will just replace the Mac? As the technician also put notes on the service saying "I do not know if this is all that will have to be done, as it depends whether all these repairs sort all the problems". This is all being done through the original representative who organised the service with the service provider.

Thanks

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Usually, yes, they will simply replace those parts and send it back. Most of the time a machine is replaced, it's due to either repeat service (as in multiple replacement parts for the same issue), or a part that is unavailable. Apple once replaced one of my machines because it needed a new logic board (after having the optical drive, display, inverter board and I think at least one other part as well) but after 3 weeks, the part was still not available. They called me and offered me a new machine instead of waiting for the part any longer.

Outside of those conditions, it's rare to have a machine completely replaced by Apple.

jW

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Thanks for the reply,

I just kinda guessed that they would replace it rather than repair the multiple parts. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks

For the issues you're having, nope.

I currently have an early 2008 MBP. In separate instances here's what's been replaced, under warranty:

Top case x3
Lower case x1
4GB RAM x1
SuperDrive x2
Logic board x1
Display x1

In fact, with the exception of a few components, I have a whole new computer from what I started wiht. Never had them ask me if I wanted a replacement.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
For the issues you're having, nope.

I currently have an early 2008 MBP. In separate instances here's what's been replaced, under warranty:

Top case x3
Lower case x1
4GB RAM x1
SuperDrive x2
Logic board x1
Display x1

In fact, with the exception of a few components, I have a whole new computer from what I started wiht. Never had them ask me if I wanted a replacement.

Wow, maybe it won't happen LOL!!

That's nuts... Next time something goes wrong inquire about a replacement, as obviously you've already had at least 3 repairs (3 top cases)

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Wow, maybe it won't happen LOL!!

That's nuts... Next time something goes wrong inquire about a replacement, as obviously you've already had at least 3 repairs (3 top cases)

Eh, I don't really care so long as the machine works.

My first top case replacement was because the trackpad button went bad. The first replacement felt off and went bad within a few weeks. I went back and they replaced it again. It, too, was bad. The "Geniuses" acknowledged that the pad felt funny but said that there was nothing they could do, which is I suggested to them that they had a bad batch of top cases. Went to another Apple Store, the second store replaced the top case and called the other store to confirm that they (the first store) might have a bad batch of top cases.

I thought that was the end of it when a few weeks later, I started noticing that the top case was lifting off of the bottom case and that the SuperDrive was rejecting disks. Went back, lower case replaced, SuperDrive replaced. Replacement Superdrive went bad but I was overseas so I couldn't get it replaced so I had that done when I got back.

The display, logic board and RAM was another long Apple Store "Genius" fiasco that should have never happened.

And oh yeah, in a way, this IS the replacement, because the display of the first early 2008 MBP I bought went bad within the first two weeks and they offered me a replacement on the spot.

Anyway, I've just resigned myself to this MBP being cursed. Right now, I'm trying to figure out why my trackpad quits working randomly after the 10.6.3 update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.