Apple replaces Jammed/Broken power buttons, Right?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wm6405, Jul 31, 2011.

1. wm6405 macrumors member

Hey, my power button on my iPhone 4 recently stopped working. For about a day it was completely stuck to where there was no click and I couldn't get it to shut off no matter how hard I mashed it, but then after about a day I could actually get it to respond when pressed VERY hard and that's where it's stuck right now...I didn't drop it or anything to cause this damage, it just stopped working. The Apple Store will replace this if I take it into the Genius Bar right?..And Also, it's jailbroken, should I restore it to a clean software before bringing it in...I'm sure they like to blame everything they can on phones being jailbroken, so I just want to be sure...Thanks Guys

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

There have been whisperings that many of the Geniuses don't care whether your phone is jailbroken or not.

However, if a Genius wanted to, they could deny you warranty cover because you are jailbroken. As I have said, whether they will or not is debatable and entirely up to the Genius in question. Thus, to be safe I would try to restore it to a stock iOS before going into the Apple Store.

As to the question of whether they will replace your button, chances are they will just give you a refurb phone.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Depending on what kind of genius you get, they could either admire your jailbreak tweaks or turn you away. But just to be safe I would wipe it clean. The iPhone you get back probably isn't going to have 4.3.3 anyway.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Well for one, the will give him a reMANUFACTURED phone, they don't just give refurbished ones but I know what you meant and I agree, reformatting to the stock iOS is definitely his best bet to having no troubles.

5. CK1Czar macrumors member

They should fix it wit no problem. Same thing happened to my phone and I was in and out in ten minutes. Make an appointment though

6. wm6405 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guy...I made an appointment and went in yesterday and they took a look at it and told me I'm like 25 days over warranty because I got it the day it came out, but they will make an exception and replace it and they were about to give it to me, but apparently I had to have a legal guardian with me because Im not 18, so I went back today and got it with no problem...So I'm a happy customer :)

7. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

same thing happened to me today..... mine was 40 days over warranty but they still replaced it for me no questions asked.....it ws jailbroken etc but i wiped it.... i have never had a problem with swapping at all

8. cirrussr20 macrumors newbie

iPhone4 broken power button

I was 3 months out of warranty and the Genius said "sorry, you'll have to fork over $150".

This problem is rampant on the iPhone4 and Apple is in denial. Another Papermaster screw-up on the iPhone4.