Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dittoghost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
I bought an jailbroken (but otherwise new) iphone in Hong Kong, while they were still locked on O2 in the UK. However, I have a vodafone contract. Recently, i have experienced a software issue (unrelated to the jailbreak) where the iphone sets itself into DFU mode and says i need to restore. However, when i restore, i get an error saying it hasnt worked. I called up Apple care, who said it was quite a common issue and that i need to go into an apple store to replace it. However, they dont know it was jailbroken. Because i cant turn the phone on, i dont know if they'll be able to tell. Does anyone know if they'll do anything to check, or if ill just get a replacement straight away?

Also, there is another issue because i'm using a vodafone simcard on an O2 locked phone. When i have it replaced, will they ask me what carrier im on? and will they give me another O2 locked phone, or will i be able to use my vodafone sim without jailbreaking?

thanks for any help :)

YupYesYeah

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Registered just to respond...

I'm going to guess you're getting the 1611 error (or something like that) if you try and restore in iTunes.

I had this same situation happen at the beginning of the month. My phone (that was jailbroken) randomly restarted while on my drive home from work and then would only turn on and go straight to the DFU screen. I tried restoring from backup and tried restoring with 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, just kept getting the error.
Went to my local Apple store, didn't tell the guys at the bar that it was jailbroken, just that it was stuck in DFU mode and that I just kept getting a 1611 error if I tried to restore. The guy tried restoring from his laptop, got the same error and 2 minutes later I had a brand new phone.
The only thing they checked for was water damage. All the guy did was flash light into the headphone jack, speaker/mic and dock connector to check before giving me the new phone.

As far as whether they can give you a phone unlocked for the network you need I can not say with any certainty. They did pull my sim card out , but it was just to switch it from the old phone into the new one. So there is a chance that could cause you an issue if you don't have an AT&T card, but I can't say that with any certainty.
Maybe try and find a friend who is on AT&T that can loan you their sim card for an hour? Has anyone else ever tried that?

Speaking from experience I'd say you're fine that they won't be able to tell it was jailbroken providing they can't get it to actually start (if it does manage to restore, it will likely erase the jailbreak anyway).

Best of luck with getting your new iPhone.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Yep, as the post above says, Apple won't be able to find out you've jailbroken unless they can manage to get the thing out of DFU mode, without restoring it.

Jailbreaking only adds files and folders to the filesystem so without turning it on, they can't tell.

Plus, thanks to Apple's lovely lockdown policy, they wont even be able to see the added files in the Finder when iTunes detects a phone in DFU mode and treats it as a standard extendable drive.

So, you should be fine :) The only issue may be the SIM but now Vodafone are officially offering the phone anyway, they shouldn't bat an eyelid. Good Luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.