Apple replacing my Air; need advice; i5 or i7; wait for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JerTheGeek, Aug 12, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all
    Apple is replacing my current 13' 2013 Air (issue is detailed in another thread) with a 2014 one. Now I have the chance to add some upgrades, or I could even get the refund and put that towards a rMBP. So I am looking for some advice on which upgrades to get, and possibly if I should sell my iPad mini for the rMBP.
    My current specs are:
    1.3 gHZ Core i5
    4GB RAM
    256GB storage.

I am a homeschooled high-schooler and I use my laptop for web browsing, emailing, listening to music in iTunes, managing my photo library, in iPhoto (no photo editing of any kind, just importing and viewing and organizing). For school I write reports and stuff in Pages, take notes, and use the dictionary and calc for school. In addition to this I make YouTube videos in iMovie every two weeks or so, for my YouTube channel (nothing too professional, I have less than 150 subscribers). I also do the occasional home movie. Since I'm homeschooled, I won't be carrying it with me every day, and it will be used almost exclusively at home (however I dont need a desktop because I like using it in bed and around the house).

I already know I am going to get the RAM upgrade. But how about the CPU upgrade? For iMovie every two weeks it would be unnoticeable right?

And also, would it be worth it to sell my iPad mini to cover the extra cost of the rMBP? The refund would be around $1000, and the refurb 13' rMBP I was looking at was around $1200. I don't have any money saved now, so I would have to sell my good old iPad mini. I'm not worried about retina; the only reason I consider the rMBP is because of the extra power. Again, for iMovie every two weeks, not worth it to sell my iPad mini for, right?

I'd appreciate any input anyone can give me. I'm hoping to get this replacement by the end of the week.
    Thanks in advance,
    JerTheGeek

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

For your needs, it doesn't sound you need anything but the basic, run of the mill 13" Air. Nothing you do would really necessitate having the extra power, so unless you really want a retina screen or a heavier computer, I wouldn't go for the rMBP. If you're paying for the upgrades yourself, I wouldn't bother. If they're covering the costs, go for it.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Either get the RAM upgrade or a credit so you can see what comes out in the next couple of months if you can wait...I wouldn't go for the rMBP, too expensive still if you have to foot the bill.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Cool, so even for iMovie, the i7 wouldn't be worth it? And yes, I'll be paying for the upgrades. (unless I can convince the store to throw in the RAM upgrade for free because of all the trouble I've gone through, as I'm already on my third Air with the same issue)

----------

yeah I can't get the credit and wait because I use this a lot for school; I'm not too sure another Air would come out this year anyway; I'd hate to wait a few months without a Mac for nothing.

5. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" rMBP and my brother has a 13" MBA.
    Everytime I see him using his Air, I wish I had bought the Air too. It's light, easy to carry around (even just around the house). It's easy to use when in bed and light enough to not be a burden when you're travelling.

I do pretty much all the things you do on the laptop, web surfing, emailing, a little bit of light gaming, word processing, excel etc. I doubt I've ever pushed my laptop even the slightest. My brother is the same way and has never had any issues with the performance of his laptop.

With that being said, there are rumors of a 12" MBA which I just read on the front page. So if you can wait it out, might be worth your time.

6. 960design macrumors 68020

I agree with Tyler. Think about what you need and get that, no more, no less.

What gain, exactly, do you believe an i7 will give you over an i5? Actually, I think your first choice was probably the best fit for you; the MBA. Portability, battery life, power, all more than you need. A refurbed MBP 13" will perform worse than the current MBA in just about every thing you mentioned using it for.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

no i7?

Okay guys so should I get the i7 or no? I'm assuming it won't help performance much if I'm just doing iMovie every two weeks or so?:confused:

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You don't need the i7 upgrade. The Air will be more than enough power for your said usage. The retina is amazing and once you use it, you won't be able to go back to a TN panel with bad viewing angles.

That being said, if you are comfortable with the display on the Air, just get another Air, you will never miss retina if you haven't experienced it.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

In effect Apple is NOT replacing you MBA.

They have given you your money back in the form of a gift card.

Hope you next device does well for you!:)

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Actually they are replacing it. The store is giving me a brand new 2014 Air; if I wanted the Pro they offered to give me a refund; but I am just gonna get the Air.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My last two Airs have been i7's and I've never had a single regret...of course I'm not a college student on a budget so the extra cost had no affect on my decision. I can certainly understand those younger buyers being a bit more budget aware. Either way, the new MBA's are outstanding computers.

12. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ok so the store told me that I couldn't pay to get the RAM upgrade because it is through the online store; do you guys think I'll be ok without it? Is 4GB enough for my every two weeks iMovie usage?

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4gb should do it. Even if it the rare occasion comes up the SSD will help.

14. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

You'll be fine. Having that blazing fast PCIe SSD certainly helps in the rare case you may have page outs. :D

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Have you looked at all the ram threads? :D
    4gb will be fine for the next few years provided your usage doesnt change.
    Why is :apple: not letting you upgrade? I dont understand the explanation.

The i7 will actually make a differenc when rendering in imovie, but I don't think thats worth so much $ for you.

16. Digger148 macrumors member

Digger148

Get the rMBP if only for this reason: Yosemite. I'm running the beta, side by side, on a 2014 MBA and a late 2013 rMBP and it is obvious that Yosemite is geared towards high resolution displays. In everyday performance the MBA runs really well, but, Yosemite doesn't look nearly as good on the MBA as it does on the rMBP, especially text. Granted this may change by the date of Yosemite's official release, but, my eyes can never quite get comfortable to the MBA's OS 10.10. Not a problem with the rMBP.

17. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

yeah I am wondering what to do about this. the store said I couldn't pay to upgrade because the 8GB RAM models are "build to order" and those are only available online. But I dont see why the store couldn't just order it from online for me and then have me pay the difference for the RAM upgrade.

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I purchased my upgraded Air (8gb) directly from a retail store...no BTO. They had it in stock.

19. JerTheGeek, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Which store was it?

EDIT----
    I just saw in your signature that it was a specced out MBA. My store had that one in stock but it was $650 more. They said they couldn't let me just add the RAM for $100. I would have to buy the specced out one to get 8GB RAM.

20. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Ok, makes sense now.

21. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Any suggestions on how I could get the 8GB of RAM? Is there any way to kinda convince the store to order the 8GB one for me and have me pay the difference?:confused:

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

1. You have been advised over and over that for your needs you will not require 8gb of ram.

2. You have also been told over and over that you can just get a refund and then buy whatever you like.

23. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

24. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks, I guess i just had it stuck in my head that my iMovie usage every two weeks requires 8GB.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

If the exta ram makes you happy, why don't you ask for a refund and just buy an upgraded mba to order?