Apple replacing my early 2008 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevvveo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. stevvveo macrumors newbie

stevvveo

Hello all,

So let me give you a little back story on my recent macbook pro-blems. So I've been a proud owner of a MBP 3,1 (late2007/early2008) and haven't had any problems except occasionally a problem with the airport. Now recently I've had to go down the replacement trail starting with my battery about a week and a half ago. Then I upgraded to Snow Leopard and the very next day I couldn't get it to boot (dreaded prohibitory sign). Since then I've logged hours with Applecare and been into the Apple Store 3 times. So far they've replaced the hard-drive and ran ever kind of diagnostic test they could. It's currently in the shop again to replace the HDD flexcable and possibly the logic board if that doesn't work.

I fear that if this doesn't solve the problem I can't think of any other repair that would work. I have a lot of background and I'm, stumped. It's already been a burden these last few weeks and I'd rather not spend every week on the phone with AppleCare (one tech knows me by name now) and in the Store, losing my laptop every week.

So my question is, when are they going to replace the whole unit. I've heard 3 major repairs then replace, but would hard-drive in one visit, and flexcable and logicboard in another only count as two. I really just want a working computer and I'm getting frustrated with the whole process. Has anyone dealt with this process before? If so, will they offer to replace or should I ask. And a "techy-lovy-new-stuff-question", do they still replace refurb late2007/early2008 MBP's or do you think they might hook me up with a comparable newer MBP?

So lots of questions, but would love any input.

Sincerly,
    macbook pro-blems

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are rarely any hard and fast rules
    Keep records of everything that is done and ask to speak to supervisor/managers
    Be courteous and polite but firm

Insist on resolution to the issue