Apple replacing my iPhone. Where does that leave me for Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fuzion11, Dec 7, 2010.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I just recently sent my iphone 4 into Apple to have it exchanged with a referb unit.

What happens to me now? Providing the phone has never been jailbreaked before and doesn't have any SHSH blobs saved with Cydia....where does that leave me?

Will I be able to set up as a new phone on 4.2.1 and jailbreak (Windows) without have a tethered jailbreak?

Is it possible apple will send me a referb with 4.1 on it? Or will it always be the freshest and newest firmware? If they did send me a iP4 with 4.1 on it, I may be able to jailbreak that with greenpoision and save my blobs.

Please advise as much info as you can...

THanks to everyone in advance!

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Overall I'm guessing you'll be SOL. If they send you a refurb, chances are pretty good that it'll have the latest and greatest firmware on it. Assuming that's the case and you get one with 4.2.1, you'll only have the tethered JB option :( Guessing you're just going to have to wait like everyone else until the untethered JB comes out.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Chances are (unless you are extremely lucky) that you get a 4.2.1, your only JB option at this time is Tethered one. sorry

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its a refurb you might get lucky and get 4.1 if its 4.2.1 then you'd be stuck with a tethered JB.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I was in the local Apple Store over the weekend and all their phones were at 4.1, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're still shipping 4.1.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya like others are saying its a wait and see at this point as to what firmware comes installed on the replacement, im sure it is 4.2.1 and unteethered jailbreak will be out sooner then later

PS. great location even though we both know its not really that great at all

7. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

This happened to me ..

Back in August this happened to me as well. Just wait a bit for the untethered version of 4. JB.

Patience....

8. TechJunky macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just got one replaced this past weekend at an apple store and it came with 4.1.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why is getting a new phone or a refurb phone such a mystery to some people?

The obvious answer is if it comes at a firmware level that can be jailbroken, you can jb it and no one here knows what firmware level it will come at. What other information is there?

10. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I've just read that MuscleNerd has tweeted he successfully jb his iphone UNTETHERED on 4.2.1 and said it will be out for the public really soon

My question is do I need a 4.2.1b3 blob on file with Cydia to be able to take advantage of the untethered jailbreak????

Please advise, thanks everyone for all the info....

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

For THAT jailbreak that Musclenerd showed, YES. it uses the 4.2b3 kernel. However @comex is working on a "better" untethered Jailbreak that doesn't involve downgrading and it should be out before xmas.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I have boughten about 15 refurbed iphones over the last 3yrs, my experence is that after they fix them, they load the latest firmware AT THAT TIME and then box it up, stamp the date on the sticker attached and thats it.

My latest i got last week was a 32GB from September with 4.1

13. calvy macrumors 65816

Agreed. They don't unwrap them in store and them update them before you go. I got my iphone replaced before 4.2.1 came out, and it came with 4.0.1 on it.

But, even if the OP gets one with an older firmware, won't he still be out of luck since Apple is no longer signing them and he likely won't have SHSH's on Saurik's servers?

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

You don't need the shsh to jailbreak, as long as you're already on a jailbreakable firmware version. Having your shsh would only be needed if restoring an iPhone to a non-current firmware version.

15. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

There are ways to restore to an order firmware. But, the new 4.2.1 UT JB should be out soon so why not just wait it out. I know it'll suck without your fav apps (i'd die without BiteSMS and Lockinfo) but less trouble. I'd wait it out if i where you if it came with 4.2.1.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

On a 3GS or iphone 4 there are no ways to restore to older firmware without having shsh's saved.

17. peterscott1990 macrumors newbie

refurb

i just got a refurb iphone from apple in aberdeen on monday as my home button broke and that came with 4.1 and was jailbroken as soon as i got home haha

18. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey everyone,

My iP4 came to me today, luckily with 4.1 on it...I jailbroke with GP and saved my blobs.

I think I'll wait to get my phone in order so I can use Comez untethered JB....I just hope that one person above was right when they said "Comez is working on a better JB that doesn't need the 4.2.1b3 blobs to jailbreak.

Can someone else confirm this too?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!!

Cheers.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The guy is called comex (w/ an x) and yes, he is working on a better jb, they even say it on the dev team blog post...

20. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

You may get a 4.1 phone...when I returned my old one 4.1 was the latest and greatest, but mine had 4.0.2. Not like that made a difference at the time, but either way.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I thought it was Gomez:D

22. calvy macrumors 65816

Oh, I see. but he would be limited to a tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak at this point I assume?

23. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Actually I've read Comez with an X is producing a JB which won't require a tether or older blobs like 4.2.1b3

It should be out before Xmas.

24. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

that is true you need SHSH's but you dont need your own. I had 4.0.1 and had to restore after Apple was only signing 4.1 and for some reason i didnt have my SHSH's saved. My buddy at work used his backed up SHSH's on my IP4 to restore back to 4.0.1.

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL Impossible, SHSHs are Device dependent, you CANNOT use another devices SHSHS to restore your.