Apple Replacing My Mac Pro, What Spec To Get?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mustard Chops, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

So it looks like I may be getting a replacement Mac Pro from Apple.

My question is regarding spec of the replacement, I currently have a 2.8 octo and was hoping to get an idea of the nearest spec of current machines as a possible replacement.

I guess it would be the 8 core 2.66? I cant see them giving me the 8 core 2.93 simply due to the cost.

Which machine do you think would be a fair replacement?

2. Kr3st macrumors newbie

There was someone who posted the same thing as you earlier and ended up getting the 2.93 octo from them. It's only right that you paid for the top of the line to get the current top of the line.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I would push for a 2.93 octo but settle for a 2.66... that would be a very nice trade-up in my opinion with all the new architectural improvements.

What happened to you 2008 machine?

4. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like the 2.93, but i think i may have to push for it. In terms of performance though isn't the 2.66 octo very similar?

5. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

Huge amounts of madness, repairs that did not solve the problem, being without the machine for 1 month whilst it had 2 repairs. Getting the machine back to me without a serial number on the new logic board.

Just a massive headache to be honest...

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I feel like the headache would be worth it if you got a 2.93 octad (unless you really wanted to use a third party internal RAID card).

7. dsiew81 macrumors member

I don't think that would be a factor considering there were many PM G5 owners who had their machines replaced with MPs. (Yes, it is a different scenario, but Apple could easily have elected to repair those G5s.)

... and what would owners of the 3.2 Octo upgrade to?

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The 2.8 wasn't top of the line it was the base system.

The situation is an odd one really due to the changes both Apple and Intel made. The 2.66GHz octo is the ideal replacement really, but a messed about customer should be able to pursue the 2.93GHz octo as compensation, like in this case.

9. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

If the logic board is replaced, the serial no longer shows on System Profiler without some tweaking.

11. pprior macrumors 65816

Yes, they actually have a special program to assign the new S/N. I had the same problem when I got a new logic board in my old MP and I eventually also ended up with a new MP after several failed repairs and 2 different logic board replacements.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Very good point.

If this is in fact the case, then I'd try to get one of the 3.2GHz '08 Octads in the Refurbished store.

Unless the OP is willing to cough up the funds for the adapter Maxupgrades offers, and deal with the other issues in the '09, such as you lose the logic board ports when using the adapter, the throughput throttling to 660MB/s on the ICH10R, and limited DIMM slots. The later two issues are applicable in the machine no matter if RAID is used or not.

I agree. The aggravation experienced should count for something. Not to mention the lost time, which is highly relevant to professionals. Can't work, can't earn. :p

13. dsiew81 macrumors member