Apple replacing my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macs4us, Aug 11, 2011.

  1. macs4us macrumors newbie

    Aug 11, 2011
    I have a late 2008 unibody 15" MBP that Apple has decided to replace for me (dreaded screen flicker issue). Would like some advice on what specs I should be looking for in the replacement.

    Original specs:
    MFG Part# MB471LL/A
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
    4GB RAM
    320GB HD
    Cost: $2,499

    This model had the RAM upgrade (from 2GB to 4GB) and larger HD (320GB instead or 250GB) - the most you could have in standard upgrades without being a custom build.

    Any ideas of what a fair replacement would be since specs have improved vastly since late 2008? Does it make any difference that I chose the upgraded model when they are doing a replacement, i.e., should I ask for the 2.2GHz vs. the 2.0Ghz and a RAM upgrade since my model was originally upgraded?

    Any advice is appreciated...
  2. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    You'll likely get the base 15" model and nothing more.
  3. seek3r macrumors 6502

    Aug 16, 2010
    Not necessarily. A couple years ago my sister's faulty 12" ibook was replaced with a 13" aluminum (the same model that was speed bumped and re-branded the 13" macbook pro a little bit later) instead of the base model polycarbonate.

    That said, they likely won't give the OP a choice!
  4. squeakr macrumors 68000


    Apr 22, 2010
    It also will depend on the screen. They are more willing to upgrade if the screen was say AG, as they need to replace with like (AG for AG). When they had to replace my early 2008, they made sure and got me the AG. Since I needed it in a hurry, they were willing to authorize an in store exchange (yes your mileage on this will vary greatly), but since the only AG they had in store was the high end, I ended up with the 15" Hi-Rez, AG, 2.3 i7 MBP, exchanged even for my early 2008 2.4 AG MBP.

    Yes I was lucky am ever grateful for what Apple did for me, as they really didn't need to (this was their idea to exchange and not mine, I just wanted my MBP working again). Good luck. You could offer to pay upgrades (I did and Apple said no they were covering it all).and
  5. macs4us thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Since the process just started today, I wasn't sure what the process was going to be. I was already thinking of offering to pay for the RAM and/or processor upgrade, as squeakr suggested, so I may ask when they contact me tomorrow.
  6. nickcao macrumors member

    Mar 24, 2011
    you will get the base line 2.0g. but u can pay for upgrade of cause.

Share This Page