Apple replies about Safari Crashes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pranavss11, Oct 31, 2008.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I got pissed about all the crashes I have been experiencing on Safari and sent an email off to sjobs yesterday. Got an extremely fast reply. If anyone is having trouble, then please post your answers to these questions below and I will convey them to him when I email him back (After I get back from college).

Hi,

We received your report about Safari crashing. Could you help us by providing more details? Are you running the 2.2 developer seed or 2.1? What sites do you visit that cause Safari to crash?

What else do you have running? Push email? Music in the background? Exchange? Do you see the same crashes if you use Safari immediately after booting?

Is your phone jailbroken?

We appreciate your concern and any additional details you can provide.

Thanks,
    - Richard Williamson
    iPhone Engineering

2. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Wait one minute.... Do you mean sjobs@apple.com doesn't go to Steve's iPhone?

I'm so disappointed.

3. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I'm sure you're frustrated with Safari but emailing Jobs about your crashes is lame. Use the appropriate channels for tech support.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

Or call your nearest Apple Store and arrange to have it looked at.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Don't let them try and fob you off with the
    "Oh, it must be jailbroken" guff… :mad:

My 1st Gen iPhone (2.1 Software) crashes at least 3 times during a Safari session…

No rhyme or reason to it.

*Crash*
    Blank/black screen and then restart Safari…

Extremely annoying — especially when you're in the middle of typing a reply on MacRumors. :p

My only gripe with a great product.

5. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Been there done that. Also, I have iPhone and then iPhone 3G and safari still crashes anyway. And yes, neither of them have been jailbroken.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My 3G iPhone (not jailbroken) running 2.1 is exactly the same. It's favourite place for crashing seems to be in the forums on MacRumors. :eek:

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I could take it if Safari only crashed to the springbord but for me it sometimes freezes my whole phone making me do a soft reset which usually takes a chunk of the battery with it! And we all know the battery life isn't great to begin with.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Man, remind me to never ask for bug reports from you guys.

"Apple: hey guys, can you give us any details you have on when this occurs so we can fix it?
    MacRumors forums: Man, Apple sucks"

9. stateofmind macrumors regular

SJobs - Is your iPhone Jailbroken?

Me - Yes

SJobs - Please remain where you are, we are currently sending assassins your way.

10. twist2b macrumors regular

If it happened to BOTH, thats weird. I bet it could be a router issue. Does it happen when you connect to your home router? Let me know :)

11. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not know how it could be a router problem seeing that it happens on 3g and edge too. It usually happens while reading something (macrumors, email attachments etc) I already let him know. Will post if he responds.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Same here. 2.1, never jailbroken, running on O2.

I do have push email running in the background, but there doesn't seem to be cause here. Not running any music makes no difference.

Notably, this is overwhelmingly more likely to happen when on GRPS/Edge, rather than Wifi.

Phazer

13. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

it usually happens when there is music playing

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

when you have a problem with your credit card, you don't email the president of the company or do you call the local branch ....

[This is the] reason why sjobs@apple.com is probably not Steve's real e-mail anymore.

15. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

JAJAJAJAJAJA, excellent one :D

But seriously, my phone is jailbroken, and Safari never crashes!

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, I'll also ditto that forum pages (here and also on yuku.com) seem to be particularly problematic. Maybe it's javascript related?

With respect to the specific questions...

Are you running the 2.2 developer seed or 2.1? 2.1 normal release

What sites do you visit that cause Safari to crash? See above. They don't happen consistently on any certain pages within the sites, though, or during certain specific actions, and they do happen at non-forum sites.

What else do you have running? Push email? Music in the background? Exchange? Do you see the same crashes if you use Safari immediately after booting?
    Push e-mail: no.
    Music: yes, generally, but same behavior without music also (also music stutters during web surfing more often (although only occasionally) with 2.1 than with any previous version.
    Exchange: yes (one e-mail address only, not calendars or anything else, with other e-mail addresses on POP or IMAP).
    After booting: I don't see a strong relationship between uptime and the crashes -- they don't happen consistently for any site, and they do happen whether it's freshly booted or been up for a week or more.

Is your phone jailbroken? No.

To the OP, you might consider directing the engineer to this thread.

17. infosprt macrumors regular

Mine crashes all the time when I visit a site that makes heavy use of Javascript. A couple of sites are finance.yahoo.com and wsj.com .

I have the older iPhone and running release 2.1 .

It gets so frustrating that at times I shut Javascript off in the browser to keep the browser up. Unfortunately I forget that its off sometimes and wonder why a particular site doesn't work the way it used to.

18. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did give him the link to this thread:):apple:

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

If you have a clue you contact the CEO straight away. He'll never read it and it'll go to the complaints department all the same, but it goes with a big "urgent" sticker that none of the other complaints do.

Phazer