Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Reportedly Bumps iPhone 3GS Manufacturing Orders Nearly 20%

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

DigiTimes reports on claims from several sources indicating that Apple has recently increased manufacturing orders for the iPhone 3GS by up to 20%, suggesting continued strong demand for the device.
Apple has increased fourth-quarter orders for the iPhone 3GS to its Taiwan-based manufacturing partners Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) and Primax Electronics by 17-20%, noted the sources.
OmniVision, manufacturer of of the image sensors used in the iPhone's camera, has also reportedly notified its customers of tight supply through late November, ostensibly due to Apple's supply requirements.

Apple noted during its earnings conference call last week that it had experienced shortages of the iPhone 3GS throughout the quarter due to unexpected demand, confirming observations in a number of markets over the past few months. The company did note, however, that supplies had come back into balance with demand in most countries by late September or early October.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Bumps iPhone 3GS Manufacturing Orders Nearly 20%

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
PRC vs. ROC.

Is the phone actually produced in & shipped from Taiwan? Why do they say "Assembled in China"?

Like, is final assembly in the People's Republic or is the PRC pressuring Apple into pretending that Taiwan is part of China? CONSPIRACY!!!!! ;)

Can anyone shed some light?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Hopefully this means that there won't be any supply problems when Vodaphone UK start selling it early next year - I've waited long enough for one :D

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
The official name of Taiwan is Republic of China (ROC), allthough when people say "China" they usually mean the People's republic of China (PRC)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hopefully Apple will ship them to Finland too. Delivery time of iPhone 3GS here is approximately 12 weeks no matter where you buy it :mad: I would've bought mine already but I'm not willing to pay first and wait 3 months

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Could this be for the China release?

Doubt there is any bump in demand in the US as long as AT&T is the network of choice.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
perhaps they are using the same components in the much rumoured and anticipated tablet?

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
One might also wonder if the they expected the camera shortage and decided not to put a camera in the touch because of it...

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Good for 3GS..but I already look into next June/July :D I really hope for front camera and iChat...this is last thing missing in my department:p

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Is the phone actually produced in & shipped from Taiwan? Why do they say "Assembled in China"?

Like, is final assembly in the People's Republic or is the PRC pressuring Apple into pretending that Taiwan is part of China? CONSPIRACY!!!!! ;)

Can anyone shed some light?

it's made on the mainland in the PRC. Used to be that stuff was made in Taiwan, but all the companies outsourced to the PRC years ago. These days it's partly designed in Taiwan.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
One might also wonder if the they expected the camera shortage and decided not to put a camera in the touch because of it...
No, the iPhone's autofocusing camera part physically will not fit in the iPod touch case. It's too big.

The most likely reason for the past supply constraints on iPhone manufacturing was a silicon shortage.

As an AAPL shareholder, I am looking forward to a blockbuster Q1.

Dear Board of Directors, please split the stock! Thanks!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple has increased fourth-quarter orders ...

OmniVision has notified its customers of tight supply ...
Do they ever tell Apple they can't meet increases like these? Or does Apple have priority over other customers?

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You may want to be cautious about your investment. iPhone is not that popular in China through carriers after all, AAPL may tank for a while and back when new product emerges.
http://www.fool.com/investing/international/2009/10/27/why-china-wont-love-the-iphone.aspx
I've had my shares over five years and rode out the previous storm when it drooped to about $80 early this year. Had I sold at $80, I still would have had an ROI of 100%.

Besides, historically Q1 (the holiday quarter) is Apple's strongest. They aren't recording any (official) China sales, but there are estimates of up to a million grey-market iPhones in that country, so there is a certain amount of demand.

They are basically coming off a constrained iPhone supply situation elsewhere in the world, meaning they left money on the table last quarter.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I'm willing to bet a lot of people's 2-year contracts are ending soon..

Upgrade time!

onemilkid

macrumors newbie
Selling like hot cakes

I am a German living in Sydney. Australia is the only country I know that sells all iPhone models outright. You can just walk into the beautiful Apple store and pick on up. As you can imagine, they are selling 1-3 each minute, mainly to asians and europeans. Australians have 3 carriers to choose from where they can get the iPhone for free.

No wonder you see the iPhone everywhere you. I think it is test market for world, or at least everywhere besides the US, where this currently would only be one more 3G/UMTS carrier in T-Mobile.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
I am a German living in Sydney. Australia is the only country I know that sells all iPhone models outright. You can just walk into the beautiful Apple store and pick on up. As you can imagine, they are selling 1-3 each minute, mainly to asians and europeans. Australians have 3 carriers to choose from where they can get the iPhone for free.

No wonder you see the iPhone everywhere you. I think it is test market for world, or at least everywhere besides the US, where this currently would only be one more 3G/UMTS carrier in T-Mobile.

Here in Belgium all iPhones are sold without a contract, so you can walk into a store and walk out with an iphone 20 seconds later, but the downside is that it's very expensive. (575 € for the 16 GB 3GS and 675 € for the 32GB 3GS) For me it works out fine though, since I don't need a contract, I spend maybe 10 € per month on my pay as you go simcard, and use it mainly as an ipod/camera that I occasionally use to receive calls (which is free anyway)

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Apple is launching on two carriers in Canada in November (Telus and Bell) that are launching HSPA+ networks. Apple has also ended carrier exclusivity in the UK. There is also the impending China launch.

Why are so many people on these boards so myopic that they do not see their neighbours to the north?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.