Apple Reportedly Considering Extending Apple TV+ Free Trial

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering extending the free trial of its Apple TV+ video streaming service that comes with new Apple devices, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple TV+ launched last October for $4.99 per month. Any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac purchased from September 10, 2019 was eligible for a year-long free trial of Apple TV+.

As the first free trials will come to an end next month, Apple is apparently considering an extension of the free trial program. Gurman's sources say this would take shape as a continued free access offer with the purchase of a new Apple device, but now for a period shorter than a year.

The Cupertino, California-based company launched TV+ last year for $4.99 a month, but many customers are still on a free year of service that comes with the purchase of an Apple product. The first trial accounts will expire just weeks after the next iPhones are set to debut in October. The company is considering keeping a free access offer to lure new subscribers but with a reduced period of time, the people said.
The offer of a generous year-long free trial for Apple TV+ has been an important part of Apple's strategy to lure in long-term subscribers by giving unfettered access to the full roster of content on the streaming service. Apple TV+ launched with a small amount of content compared with other rival services, so it has been crucial for Apple to build goodwill and interest about the service's shows without expecting immediate returns.

The report also featured the news that Apple is planning to add bonus augmented reality content to Apple TV+.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Considering Extending Apple TV+ Free Trial

Reactions: jbachandouris

Jxdawg

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Do we know if Apple will continue to offer ATV+ free with the student Apple Music subscription? Or will that end like the trial?

• Disagree
Reactions: ruka.snow

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
First impressions are great so far. I don't get why people are so negative about it at all. I've really enjoyed See, Mythic Quest, and Defending Jacob, and I'll start watching For All Mankind at some point soon too.

The trail makes sense when there isn't a huge amount of content, they'll grow their selection over time. I'll be happy to pay £4.99/m when the catalogue expands to when there's always something I'm interested in ready to go (like I can do with Netflix / Disney+ just now).

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
While I do enjoy some of the content that they've posted, there's just not enough. I'm sure that the covid shutdown will impact the amount of content they'll offer in the next year at least. The app also needs to be revamped and made more robust if they want to add content. Even with the limited selection, it's still a pain and non intuitive to find anything the way it's curated.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Why would the first subscriptions end next month? Apple TV+ did not debut until November 2019 and subscriptions did not start until then. I signed up day 1, so I should still have 2 more months.
"The first trial accounts will expire just weeks after the next iPhones are set to debut in October."

Weeks after the phones debut in Oct is November.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
I'd be considering extending the free trial because, a year on, there still isn't enough content to justify paying for subscription for even a month at this point. The content quality is incredibly high, for what there is, just that slight issue of not being much of it. Apple aren't 100% to blame here, pandemic and that slowing productions but still, very light on content

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I guess it's possible, but at some point that service will need to start bringing in more money like some of Apple's other services.

Content is king, they need must-watch stuff for it to be a success.
If App Store, Apple Care and iCloud were separated from Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+ and Apple Arcade I wonder what the latter would look like. Right now Apple is able to bury them amongst other items that are successful. I do wonder when investors will start squawking about Apple not providing enough information on services.

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'd be considering extending the free trial because, a year on, there still isn't enough content to justify paying for subscription for even a month at this point. The content quality is incredibly high, for what there is, just that slight issue of not being much of it. Apple aren't 100% to blame here, pandemic and that slowing productions but still, very light on content
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the shows that have been on, but once I've watched them I'm not exactly going back to them. So then I need new content. Okay it seems like Apple's release cadence has been ~1 "blockbuster" movie a month, and a good new show every couple of months. One episode a week of a show I like and 1 movie I may/may not be interested in aren't really enough for me to commit to $5/month either.

I think it should just always be a free year with a new hardware purchase, but I do that pretty frequently. 😬

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
^ THIS RIGHT HERE.
The content is generally high, but not a lot out there. I have tried to space out my AppleTV+ show watchings a bit so as not to exhaust the catalog within the first month or two.

I also wish you could have added a year with each device you bought/activated. "Wow, looks like you purchased another device, have another year on us. thank you"

TriBruin

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
If App Store, Apple Care and iCloud were separated from Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+ and Apple Arcade I wonder what the latter would look like. Right now Apple is able to bury them amongst other items that are successful. I do wonder when investors will start squawking about Apple not providing enough information on services.
I have a feeling that Apple Music is probably a reasonable success. For Apple users, it is pretty frictionless to sign-up for and there is very little to differentiate between Apple Music and competitors. Apple TV+ is all built on the content and personal tastes. I, personally, have found some shows that are good and others that I wasn't that I was interested in. With other options, I am not sure I would re-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.