Apple Reportedly in Talks for Data-Sharing Deal with Foursquare

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2012.

1. louis.b macrumors regular

Because Google decided it wanted more and more and more and brought out its "own" OS for a gazillion of Android manufacturers so they could steal Apple's market share and customers?

2. pmg4lktan macrumors newbie

ya~WAZE FTW!

:apple:

3. Dominicanyor macrumors 65816

Dominicanyor

4. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'm from the UK. I don't know anyone, or know of anyone who uses foursquare.

It's irrelevant isn't it? What good does it actually do anyone? How would it improve maps exactly?

Can I be the mayor of who the **** cares about foursquare?

5. Jeans89 macrumors regular

6. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

If you use whatsapp and share locations, you use foursquare. If you use Instagram, you use foursquare. These are just 2 of the more prominent examples.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Near-sighted people like you probably think that it was GREAT idea for Apple to have been dependent on a jealous rival (Samsung) for the manufacture of much of its electronics components (CPU, memory, etc).

Yup. Gotcha. So you also assume that Apple would do swimmingly well to just sit around, stop all in-house development, and just be DEPENDENT on rival Google on the Maps/LocationData front. Yup, I got you. I don't agree with you, but I totally get what you are thinking. :rolleyes:

8. louis.b macrumors regular

Intelligent people exist on here :eek:
    I kid I kid :D
    But you're still awesome.

9. newrocket macrumors newbie

Apple should just buy Garmin or what ever navigation maps company that has good world wide maps data and let them worry about it :))

10. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

11. UmbraDiaboli macrumors regular

I'm getting quite tired of this recent trend of profiting from private information.

12. ascylto macrumors newbie

Trouble

Apple will always have trouble with Maps so long as they insist we die after leaping off the bridge on their logo.

13. mrbyu macrumors 6502

I think the game hasn't ended yet for Apple. They are smart enough there in Cupertino, they have a load of money, and they now that Google Maps is kicking their ass right now. I am really looking forward to what comes out of this battle. Though I am using the new google maps now, I really support Apple.

14. rmwebs macrumors 68040

we'll be needing little snitch for iOS at this rate.

15. juanmanas macrumors 6502

opps

There is no any evidence of that whatsoever

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If it ain't Siri integrated, I'm not using it. I'll stick with Apple maps. It's worked great so far.

Four Square integration would be a pretty good force multiplier for Apple.

17. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

18. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Yeah, with more than 100 million iOS 6 devices out there. But of course we need data of whether or not that's the entirety of the map users. Many people don't use maps so we shouldn't expect all 100 million to get the gmaps app. In any case, I don't see any data supporting the pro or the contra of your argument. People who download gmaps won't necessarily stick with it. Maybe they won't like it and switch back to Apple maps as well. (Not me, for me Apple maps is useless in my area).

19. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

I drove from Ohio to Florida and back with no issues with Apple maps. I've used them several times without issue.

----------

Because they have all the POI in their database. Try foursquare you will find everything is in there.

20. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

Oh i agree with you on the data is not being specific enough. But IOS has been out for 3 months and has 100 million downloads. What will Google Maps have in 3 months? What percentage of the 100 million were iphones? How many were Wifi only iPads that will never ever be used to get directions using a maps app? How many people would gladly switch to Google Maps from Apple Maps and make it the default maps app if they could? The 10 million is very significant. It may only seem like 10% but it will grow and i think it is a larger percentage of the devices that will actually use a map app......but I wish we had a the numbers breakdown. But we don't so we can only speculate.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have no idea what Foursquare is, nor do I know anyone who uses it. Sounds like just one of the billion apps that tried to ride the Facebook wave. It also sounds like Apple continues to look for the cheap way out. Garbage in, garbage out.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I do.

To be fair, Foursquare has *considerably* better place data in the UK than Yelp does. Much, much better.

But that doesn't mean it's the equivalent of Google, nor that Apple could actually get the integration to work.

It's throwing yet more resource down the pit of Apple Maps, when it could be spent making improvements to iOS.

----------

Apple are still dependent on Google for Maps. They just have a lot less control over it now as they have nothing to do with the app, rather than something.

Before they could ******** Google in negotiations that they could go and build their own maps. Now it's proven beyond doubt that they can't.

23. Yujenisis macrumors 6502

I've found that the weakest part of Apple's Maps was their POI database.

Hopefully, this will bring that part of Apple's offerings more in line with Google's.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This is another one of those heads I win tails you lose. There's nothing Apple does that someone won't b**** about. Apple is trying to fix/improve deficiencies in their maps app. What do people want them to do with maps? Let it wither on the vine and die? What's good about that?

25. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Exactly. The biggest problem with Maps is not actually the maps themselves (the *streets* are in the right places, after all) but the terrible location search.

One of the reasons that the location search is bad is that it's not enough just to have a big database of locations. Even if Apple's database was comprehensive and up to date (which it isn't), you need to know how popular each place is. Not just to decide what locations to draw on the map, but also to form meaningful, relevant search results.

The same applies when searching for place names. You need a search engine that is smart enough to know that someone searching for "London" in Europe probably means London, UK and not London, Ontario. Likewise, someone is southwest Ontario doing the same search probably does actually mean the other London.

This is something Google understands. They also have a huge number of users and can form data on popularity based on the number of people searching for them. As a result, their location searches are very good.

Foursquare is also very good at doing this - the more check-ins a place has, the more likely it's something that users are actually searching for. Getting this user-curated, up to date data into Apple's Maps would be a big improvement indeed.

----------

Apple didn't have a lot of control before, either. They were dependent on their agreement with Google as to what they were allowed to include in the maps app, and things like 3D vector maps, search suggestions/autocomplete, and turn-by-turn navigation weren't available.

The only reason Google Maps has turn-by-turn directions and 3D on iOS today is because Google had to put those features in to be competitive - you can thank Apple Maps for that :)