Apple Reportedly Investing in LG Display's New OLED Plant, Will Be Solely Devoted to iPhones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Samsung remains the world's the dominant supplier of OLED panels and will supply Apple with up to 92 million OLED screens over the next two years, a new report today suggests that Apple is looking to diversify its supply chain by investing $1.75-2.62 billion into LG Display's OLED manufacturing. Specifically, Apple and LG Display are said to be considering a deal that would funnel Apple's investment into LG Display's new "E6" OLED plant, which would be "exclusively dedicated to Apple orders" (via The Korea Herald).

[​IMG]

LG Display's production on OLED screens is still far off, with its output for Apple predicted to start sometime in early 2019, which still places Samsung as the reigning supplier of OLED components for Apple over the next few years. No deal between Apple and LG Display is confirmed yet, with the companies having "tentatively" agreed upon the investment plans and more finalized details expected to come later in the month.
    For the 2017 line of iPhones, rumors have been pointing towards the "iPhone 8" as having an OLED screen, while the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus will include standard LCD panels. The iPhone 8 is believed to include a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge display, glass body, wireless charging, no physical Home button, and potentially 3D sensing features for facial recognition.

A report out of Korea earlier this year stated that Apple aims to make every iPhone with an OLED screen by 2019, which would fall in line with today's report of Apple's and LG Display's deal being eyed for a 2019 production ramp-up on OLED screens.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Investing in LG Display's New OLED Plant, Will Be Solely Devoted to iPhones

2. Sunny1990, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Good,Finally they are making progress towards making the screens better. Lcds are nice, but OLED looks better in my opinion.

3. Avieshek, Jul 3, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Wow! Hope, Mac gets some OLED love as well.

But, when they are investing (in billions) and is restricted to iPhones (or Apple) only, why not directly produce microLED? And 2019?

'm starting to believe microLED was overhyped.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017 ---
    LG is way behind than stated here. Hope, it's not Qualcomm vs Intel chips again where Apple will downgrade the other.

Ever since, Apple left Gorilla Glass, the display gets easily scratched as they started to source as same as Oppo & Vivo (BBK Electronics). Can't accept Chinese 4th Gen OLEDs. LG is yet to start even 6th Gen. I wonder, if we'll even get 8th Gen panels or Apple would rather source downgraded panels from Samsung in order to equalise the technology with LG.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Can I get a source on that?

6. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I wouldn't say "finally", Apple has been making screens better almost every year. It's nice that they can "finally" make the jump to OLED though- the tech is mature, and they'll soon be able to supply enough high end parts to satisfy iPhone-like numbers.

7. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I want a LG display, I have an LG OLED TV (the only real OLED displays in the mass market), and it’s spectacular!

8. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

What people don’t seem to realize is that gorilla glass is also “ion-strengthened glass” :)

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

MicroLed might have some problems we aren't aware of when they tried to make displays large enough for a phone.

Honestly OLED still has a ways to go. I love how battery life is extended when you go to dark mode on apps and themes on the Samsung S8+. But a lot of S8's and S8+ that I saw, including my own, were plagued with really noticeable pink "stains" that Samsung had to address with a software update that let us fine tune the calibration of our displays in order to remove it.

On one Note 7 my husband had, the display had a dark dingy look and an aqua tint. There are variances in display evenness and tint among OLED displays. So we aren't going to be free from the display lottery we have been playing all along with past and current LCD iPhone displays. As long as everyone is aware of what OLED's potential benefits and shortcomings are, that's great. I just worry that some folks unbridled enthusiasm means they might not be aware the OLED displays still have their share of problems. That being said, I'm glad to see them coming to an iPhone because the advantages to battery life are quite beneficial.

I hope iOS and apps also get a dark mode. I'd like that even on my current iPhone. I enjoy the look on my Kindle reader.

10. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I believe there will be a dark mode. I think they made the app store in iOS 11 all white because of this, along with the music app, news app, etc.

11. justperry, Jul 3, 2017

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It's actually a shame it takes this long, reason, LG's OLED technology is (far) better than Samsung, and cheaper as well.

It will probably take years for microleds to mature, by then OLED will have become so good that microled won't have many advantages anymore.

12. Relentless Power, Jul 3, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How could Micro-Led be "Overhyped" if it's not even available and or in mass production? And actually, Apple purchased a company back in 2014 known as Luxeview", Who manufactures and develops micro LED panels. So the experimentation is there, but it doesn't mean it's "Overhyoed" if it's not ready for release or mass production. Micro LED is still new technology that's evolving and will be years before it's ready beyond its infancy.

The link below discusses micro LED and it's experimentation phase and where it will ultimately lead to, followed by Apples purchase of Luxeview.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/10/26/micro-led-battery-life/
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2017 ---
    It really has nothing to do with Apple making "Progress", as they have been likely testing with OLED for years. It was Supply yield issues with the OLED panels they needed for the iPhone 8 and were initially having constraints.They purchased 70 million OLED panels through Samsung.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/03/apple-orders-70m-iphone-panels-from-samsung/amp/

13. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'm curious about µLED too, but that seems a few years off still. New tech like that also starts on a small scale, because of low yields, so you don't waste as much material, so it's gonna go in the watch first.

In the mean time, it's wise to invest in OLED, as long as they can work around its limitations. I don't want a screen that gradually shifts colours over two years.

14. GregJohn macrumors regular

GregJohn

after seeing all the newest Samsung devices with their OLED... I hate the look. Colors are awful compared to the iPhone. Still going to get the IPhone 8 but I hope it doesn't look as washed out and fake as the current ones.

15. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Haven't seen LG's OLED technology in action, only their other LED display tech...I'm hoping Apple gets their quality in check with LG display technology, the 5K screen while most looked phenomenal, they have a huge lack of QC. Never have been disappointed with Samsung displays.

16. Avieshek, Jul 3, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Sony already has a TV showcased with microLED and the introduction is in one of their official websites as well. It's marketed under CLEDIS technology by Sony (their own branding) than microLED directly, though with the mention of Crystal LED (because they indeed are crystals).

Not to the one that spoke humbly. Keep living under Apple Umbrella. Must have been proud mentioning a link to LuxVue (Seriously?). When growing outside 9to5Mac & MacRumors is possible, than ever mention links.

17. Relentless Power, Jul 3, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Showcased for a trade show doesn't indicate available for mass production and resale are two different things. Not to mention That TV you mentioned, still shows it's a future product, not a current product available.

Also, are you going to answer the question of how micro LED can be overhyped? IF It's not even in mass production for a smart phone? And what does Sony have to do with the smart phone industry?

Not to mention, the reason Luxeview was mentioned, is because it clearly indicates Apple is interested Micro LED and its capabilities. Again, you seem to not understand Micro Led for display panels for mass production for smart phones is not even on the radar yet for release, The maturity process is not even close yet for large scale.

Also, if you did read the link, you would know that it doesn't just talk about Luxeview, it also talks about the implementation of micro LED and how long it's going take to develop before it's ready for mass production. That Paradigm shift is not ready yet. Please read the article before commenting

18. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to µLED, but until I see it in a retail (not trade show) product it's still a future technology.

As for Sony, they had an OLED TV on sale nearly 10 years ago, way before anyone else. It was 11" and cost $2,500.

19. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

20. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I've noticed that too.

It seems like every time I see a Samsung phone... it has a bluish-greenish tint to it. I've seen it for years... starting with the original Galaxy S

On the flip-side... I've never looked at any iPhone and thought the screens looked bad/weird.

So let's hope Apple keeps nice colors if they switch to other screen technologies.

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Looking to replace my 10 year old Pioneer Kuro plasma with one of these this winter, last year they had some steep Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts on these, hoping for more of that this year.

I would love to see every screen Apple makes go OLED but that's probably not realistic. I think MicroLED is still in its infancy and is just too expensive to mass produce right now but ultimately that's probably where it's going. OLED is probably a stopgap technology, although a very nice one.

22. kdarling, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    I think they meant on the internet, where breathless bloggers and fanboys get hyped up over some cool tech name. Kind of like with "Liquid Metal", which is not liquid and normally looks like pewter.

CLEDIS has a resolution of less than 20 PPI. Twenty. Even Sony's first attempt at a mLED consumer TV was only 40 PPI. A retina display is more like 300 PPI. "Micro LED" is not yet "micro" in mass production.

"MicroLED" is just a name that sounds cooler than saying "conventional gallium-nitride LED" (that is, oldtime inorganic LED versus organic LED or OLED).

There's been many threads in the past about iPhone screens that were too yellow or too blue.

OLED screens are often set to a bright color mode to show off., but the mode can be changed. Probably Apple will default to the more realistic mode.

23. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I have no doubt that there have been some funky screens out of a billion iPhones shipped.

I was simply reporting that I see blue-green screens on Samsung phones... definitely more often than I see odd-looking iPhone screens. That's the reason I replied to GrumpyMom's post in the first place. :)

Yep... that's why I said "So let's hope Apple keeps nice colors if they switch to other screen technologies." :D

24. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

25. arftech macrumors regular

arftech

The Sony OLEDs are nice too.