Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is about to enter the "second phase of development" of an augmented reality glasses prototype, according to a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes story seen by MacRumors. The full report should be released by tomorrow with further details.

arglassesyay.jpg

In June 2020, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Apple is developing both an AR/VR headset and AR-only glasses. Gurman said prototypes of Apple's headset resemble a smaller version of Facebook's Oculus Quest, while the glasses would be sleeker and lightweight. In an internal meeting, Apple reportedly said the headset may be announced in 2021 and released in 2022, while the glasses are expected in 2023 at the earliest.

Gurman claimed that Apple's glasses would overlay information such as text messages and maps in front of the wearer's eyes, and he also said that users will be able to control the glasses with Siri. His report added that Apple is planning an App Store for its AR/VR headset, but he did not indicate whether the storefront will extend to the glasses.

Earlier this week, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple suppliers are gearing up for an unspecified augmented reality device in 2021. Kuo also expects Apple's long-awaited AirTags item trackers, new AirPods, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with Apple Silicon, and an iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display to be introduced throughout the year.

Update: The full report has been shared with a few more details. Following the second phase, the report claims that the glasses will go through a third phase of development a few months later. Upon completion of the prototype design, the wearable device is expected to go through a 6-9 month period for engineering verification. Apple is said to be focused on improving the device's weight and battery life.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Moving Into 'Second Phase' of AR Glasses Development [Updated]

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2016
Where is this information from again?
A preview of a DigiTimes story?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Move along...

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
It’s gonna be so interesting how they get past the privacy issues that the ill fated Google glass suffered from. How do people know if they’re being recorded while walking down the street next to someone with these? Maybe all processing will be done on-device so nothing gets sent to Apple?

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Not sure why they’re going after a market that hasn’t shown any interest from the general public. Tim Cook has always had a soft spot for AR, but it’s never going to be more than a niche product.
I wound not say never, I think at some point in the future, it will become a reality. could be 5-10 years, etc but tech will continue moving forward. Most like lead by Asia.

Last edited:
Reactions: felixen and Paul_a

AlexESP

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
Not sure why they’re going after a market that hasn’t shown any interest from the general public. Tim Cook has always had a soft spot for AR, but it’s never going to be more than a niche product.
The potential is clear, if “no one” has shown any interest it’s because nothing with AR has been useful so far. But I’m pretty sure it will be bigger than the Watch, and maybe the iPad, it’s a totally new category, and Apple is very good at that.

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey
Interested in the glasses but not interested in using Siri to interact with it.
I would live the glasses. I was disappointed at the failure of google Glass. I could be the viewing screen of the future, where the "phone" is just a tiny CPU in your pocket and viewing is done via the glasses. Welcome to the future...yeah baby

Reactions: felixen and Ghost31

nikaru

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Maybe Tim has tried in Apple labs some very very interesting solutions...who knows? My hype for Apple Watch was too high before its announcement and actually I was disappointed when I saw the final product, probably because I was expecting some Sci-Fi product. Therefore, I prefer to maintain my expectations low for any Apple Glasses because Apple cant make miracles.

Reactions: nicemod

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
So what's the point of this early, clunkier device? I can't see anyone walking down the street with an Occulus Quest strapped to their head. Is this going to be like a dev kit for the real thing down the road?

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

AlexESP

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I wound not say never, I think at some point in the future, it will become a reality. could be 5-10 years, etc but tech will continue moving forward. Most like lead by Asia, and spreading out from there. It feels like at some point US is going to get left behind.
Asian companies are good at technical development, but the US still leads by far in conceptual innovation. Of course the first one is necessary for the second, but I don’t think anyone expects real AR innovation to spread from China.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
The market isn't going to show interest until there is a compelling product out there. It was the same with the iPhone (and basically every other revolutionary device ever marketed).

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
So what's the point of this early, clunkier device? I can't see anyone walking down the street with an Occulus Quest strapped to their head. Is this going to be like a dev kit for the real thing down the road?
I'm hoping this is a VR product. I love my Quest, but if Apple came out with a VR competitor for the Quest, I would ditch Facebook for Apple in a heartbeat.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
I’m sure it will include LiDAR, but that can’t be the only technology. Else how would it know to overlay images into the real world in exactly the right spots? LiDAR works in tandem with the camera.
It doesn't have to be used in tandem with an optical camera. There's a stack of LiDAR scanner tech out there that have no optical cameras, yet scan an entire landscape and create a detailed enough 3D model.

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
It's two different products, the "Occulus Rift" type will compete with current VR headsets that are made for in-home/business use. Whereas, from my understanding, the glasses will be for walking the streets etc as well as being stylish and look as close to "just a pair of glasses" as possible.

So, no... no one will be walking around with a big bulky thing attached to their face.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I would live the glasses. I was disappointed at the failure of google Glass. I could be the viewing screen of the future, where the "phone" is just a tiny CPU in your pocket and viewing is done via the glasses. Welcome to the future...yeah baby
A tiny CPU with a chonky battery if it's having to wirelessly transmit dual 4K90+ video streams to each eye (there were rumors a few years ago talking about 8K for this so 4K seems reasonable and 90fps is needed to help prevent motion sickness as a minimum). Maybe they could interlace the video? Also not sure how the glasses will have enough battery for this either without having some kind of flexible loop lined with multiple cells that wraps around your head. This is a lot more advanced than an Apple Watch and we all know how the battery life is for that thing, even when it's mostly passive all day. Presumably thing thing would be running constantly during the day.

Not trying to crap all over progress but I think this sort of tech still has some time left to bake in the oven or it will come out raw.

Reactions: subi257

johnmarki

macrumors member
May 13, 2020
The Matrix
I really hope this is a product that can supplement, or replace, my prescription eyewear. I'd love to throw my glasses on, slip on the watch, toss my phone in my pocket, and have them all work in unison! It would also be beneficial if they could interact with other Apple products or Services. (ie. The glasses bring up certain menus, or options when facing my MacBook Pro, or Apple TV) No matter how "beta" or advanced the initial product is, I will jump on board.

Last edited:

Tech Copywriter

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Essex, UK
I'm vaguely interested in the glasses, but the headset is of no interest at all.

The real measure of success will be how many of the Apple glasses users are savagely beaten or banned from public places while wearing them.

• Haha
Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.