Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to launch a trio of new color options for the Beats Studio Buds, including gray, blue, and pink, according to leaker Jon Prosser.

Beats-Studio-Buds-feature-3.75.jpg

A video on Prosser's Front Page Tech YouTube channel claims that Apple is planning to deliver all-new "Moon Gray," "Ocean Blue," and "Sunset Pink" color options for the Beats Studio Buds. Since their launch in June 2021, the Beats Studio Buds have only been available in red, white, and black.

The Beats Studio Buds are very similar to the AirPods Pro, featuring in-ear silicone tips, Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), Transparency mode, quick pairing, Hey Siri support, and Spatial Audio, for a price of $149.99. The Beats Studio Buds are $100 cheaper than the AirPods Pro, but they lack the H1 chip, dynamic head tracking for Spatial Audio, wireless charging, and a design with stems.

Earlier this year, Apple introduced a firmware update that added new functionality to the earbuds, including instant pairing via iCloud, easier access to battery status, and more control over volume.

Apple often introduces new color options to refresh various products, but this would be the first such refresh to come to the Beats Studio Buds. The three new color options are simply said to be in the works to launch "soon."

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch Three New Colors for Beats Studio Buds

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
If the Beats Studio Buds had the Apple H1 chip, they would have been an instant buy for me at its price point. Its obvious Apple purposely withheld the H1 chip, in order to not cannibalise the Airpods Pro.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I tried them and they were pretty good, but they have no stems and it was difficult taking them out of the case a lot of times. I finally returned them and bought a pair of Anker Life P3 for half the price instead. The Anker sound quality was noticeably superior and easy to maneuver because of the stems. It's not as integrated with Apple OSes but in actual usage the difference does not bother me.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I'm happy with mine, particularly given the additional functionality as a result of the firmware updates.

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
If the Beats Studio Buds had the Apple H1 chip, they would have been an instant buy for me at its price point. Its obvious Apple purposely withheld the H1 chip, in order to not cannibalise the Airpods Pro.
Or is it possible they withheld the H1 since the Beats products tend to be aimed at use with Android products as well, and the benefits from H1 only come when paired with iPhone/iPad? Although looking through what devices have the H1, the Beats Fit Pro (around $200) has it, so maybe it's both target audience and price point? I dunno.

Reactions: CarlJ and snipr125

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I think this is why we will never see AirPods in different colors.
I agree.

I think Apple's strategy is to milk each product like as much as possible until they hit a wall with the tech - then they release new colors to drive new sales...

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
What other benefits are there for having the H1 chip?
The latest firmware update added instant iCloud pairing.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
What other benefits are there for having the H1 chip?
The latest firmware update added instant iCloud pairing.

Basically pairing is instant, lower latency, higher bandwidth, incredible signal strength, efficient battery management and overall better sound quality in tandem with the AAC codec. The audio quality is better than wired ear pods that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ and B4U

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
All these colors sound sick. Love the Buds—might cop a pair as a backup for my AirPods Pro once these drop.

NewCoke

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Google has a Sunrise color for their "Chromecast with Google TV". Might be similar.

Last edited:

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia

Basically pairing is instant, lower latency, higher bandwidth, incredible signal strength, efficient battery management and overall better sound quality in tandem with the AAC codec. The audio quality is better than wired ear pods that's for sure.
I have a set of AirPods 3 and a set of Beats Studio Buds. With the latest firmware on Beats Studio Buds enabling iCloud pairing, it pairs instantly across all of my apple devices. If I take a phone call, I can choose to connect to my Beats Studio Buds. In my opinion, the audio quality of the Beats Studio Buds is better than the AirPods 3. Battery life is very similar. The only real world difference is that when I remove the buds from my ear, there is no auto-pause feature. I also find the AirPods more comfortable and more stable in my ear. The microphone is better on the AirPods for calls although the buds microphone isn't bad just the AirPods is better. If I want to listen to music, or watch a video, I reach for the Beats Studio Buds whereas a work conference call on Teams or Zoom I use the AirPods.

Reactions: Canyda

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
They actually were just released. The new colours available on Apple Canada as of right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.