Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has assembled an in-house modem engineering team led by its chipmaking chief Johny Srouji, according to Reuters.

2018-iphone-trio.jpg

From the report:
Apple Inc has moved its modem chip engineering effort into its in-house hardware technology group from its supply chain unit, two people familiar with the move told Reuters, a sign the tech company is looking to develop a key component of its iPhones after years of buying it from outside suppliers.
The report claims Srouji, senior vice president of hardware technologies at Apple, took over the company's modem design efforts in January.

The in-house shift provides further evidence that Apple may be planning to develop its own cellular modem for future iPhones, as previously reported. Apple currently sources iPhone modems from Intel after cutting its ties with Qualcomm amid a major legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm.

Apple is expected to release its first 5G-enabled iPhone in 2020, but it's unclear if it will have an in-house chip ready by that time. If not, a previous report said Intel will supply Apple with 5G chips, but the iPhone maker is said to be "unhappy" with Intel's progress and may have to look elsewhere.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Shifts to In-House Modem Engineering Led by Johny Srouji

Reactions: jeremiah256

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The sooner Apple gets Intel Modems out of the iPhone, the better experience we iPhone Customers will have.

I've never had a problem with them in my iPhone 7, X & Xs.

Do you really think Apple will nail modems on their first attempt? Apple does everything on the cheap so don't expect their in-house modems to be revolutionary.

Comment

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I think the “issue” early on was about theoretical max speed supported by the modems. To keep the spec equal, Apple “neutered” the Qualcomm modem to match intel so they don’t have to list two different specs for the iPhones. In reality, hardly anybody would reach those max speeds anyway.

For the XS, seems like it’s more of an antenna problem due to new antenna design and support for 4x4 MIMO, not the actual modem itself. The side effect was reception in weak signal areas. It’s not helping that Apple went back to the bar-style signal indicator from the previous dots.

I hope Apple will integrate the modem in the future with the Ax SoC. This will allow more space and better power usage than a separate modem chip.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle
Comment

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
a quiet place in NY.

Do you really think Apple will nail modems on their first attempt? Apple does everything on the cheap so don't expect their in-house modems to be revolutionary.

Modems will be far more difficult than the A-Series or other Apple Silicon. The main reason is QC’s proriatary technology. Regardless of Apple’s position on their pricing it’s still their technology. Apple could possibly come out in better shape using QC Tech in an Apple designed chip fabbed by TSMC.

Won’t be easy. However Johny S. is and has an extremely talented Silicon Team. :apple:

Comment

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
While we wait for Apple to complete their own modem, the carriers really need to improve and expand coverage. Even in a large city, the signal is not equal everywhere. In smaller cities, I see the signal is low and inconsistent as well. Although 5G is suppose to roll out this year, I think the hype will fall flat if carriers don't improve coverage and it will be many years before it gets better.

Reactions: Canyonero
Comment

laptech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It does not matter if Apple creates an 'in-house modem engineering team' because Qualcomm hold the patents for a huge majority of modem technology. So where is Apple going to get their modem designs from to be able to produce a modem that rivals the quality of Qualcomm?. Intel have tried and failed.

Comment

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014

They seemed to have nailed their iPhone on first attempt; their in-house A processors on first attempt; their watch on first attempt; their....
As far as Apple doing everything on the cheap - you obviously have never looked at their R&D spending.
[doublepost=1549548576][/doublepost]
Yeah, it took them 10 iterations until they got it right and fast enough.
What a load of nonsense.
[doublepost=1549549067][/doublepost]
It does not matter if Apple creates an 'in-house modem engineering team' because Qualcomm hold the patents for a huge majority of modem technology. So where is Apple going to get their modem designs from to be able to produce a modem that rivals the quality of Qualcomm?. Intel have tried and failed.

AFAIK the "huge majority of modem technology" you're talking about is for 4G and below. Qualcomm's hold is much weaker on the 5G side. Maybe Apple can include its own 5G on-chip with the Ax processor and use Intel for for the older stuff. When 5G is ubiquitous, that chip could be chucked.

Comment

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
Now they can make a chip that slower than QC or even Intel, runs hot and uses more battery, but hey it doesn't include 5G or a FM receiver and is thinner yet.

Data speed slows down to 2.5g until you replace the battery :p
[doublepost=1549549264][/doublepost]
I question that, Apple used to be known for great quality, recently it’s been the opposite.

The t2 chip has been brill...

Actually yeah. You're right

Reactions: JosephAW
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.