Apple reportedly to release US$799 MacBook Air in 3Q12

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by buddybd, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddybd macrumors 6502

It'll be amazing it they do!

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120507PD214.html

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

If they did that people would seriously start to question the iPad's price even more than they already do.

3. peteypab2133 macrumors newbie

For me this is a joke. All they are saying is that it will "kill profits for exploiting new technology".. Ultra books = less materials. A side from the R&D.. Like anything that comes out that is new they are going to try and charge an arm and a leg. Apple has been in the market for a few years now, collected a bunch of earnings and now has an opportunity to put the nail in the coffin.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

MacBook Air for $799 would have to = iPad (newest) for $349 to start.

Wi-Fi: $349/$449/$549
    4G: $449/$549/$649

While I would absolutely love those prices, I highly doubt it will happen.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

ugh Digitimes

The site bored Mac blogs rely on to fill dead space.

6. buddybd thread starter macrumors 6502

I see where you guys are coming from but I think its plausible and can coexist with te 64GB iPad.

iPad is by no means a full substitute for a notebook, and while the MBA can do most, if not all, the things iPad can, it can't definitely do one thing. Operate by hand. Sure we can bust out our MBAs anytime we want but using an iPad is much easier and more 'appropriate' especailly when reading ebooks, news sites etc. iPad is just perfect for those, the touch screen simply is the difference.

I'll be really glad if there really is an 800usd MBA, Apple hasn't been this price competitive in a long time.

7. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Very good point

I doubt they will release it at $799

8. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. I dont see how Apple can make any profit whatsoever at that price range, plus it would really hinder the sales of their other $1000+ laptops.

9. buddybd thread starter macrumors 6502

Profit is possible.

NAND prices have been falling down drastically, and I'm sure the new MBAs will have more or less the same design, so no substantial increase in R&D (other than hose related to implementing IVB).

They already make a lot of profit on the $999 MBA so $800 should be possible by now considering all recent events.

If they choose to go this route is different, but the profit surely is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.