Apple requires an OSX update to fix cursor movements???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motoroid, May 19, 2009.

1. motoroid macrumors newbie

This is truly unbelievable. I'm also one of those who purchased a new NVIDIA MacMini and were shocked to find that the mouse cursor movement is sluggish and jumpy, basically unusable and plain irritating after spending top dollar on a premium computer.

Interesting article at AppleLifeStyle blog http://applelifestyle.blogspot.com/2009/05/osx-1057-improves-cursor-movements-for.html I'm surprised this was not a huge embarrasement for Apple, after all, mouse support in an OS is pretty basic. I spent the past two months trying to figure out how to fix the mouse.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

So update to 10.5.7. Sometimes there it is a price to pay for being on the bleeding edge - and it is not a uniquely an Apple only problem.

3. motoroid thread starter macrumors newbie

The bleeding edge? It's just a new NVIDIA video card, I don't see the relation to the mouse anyways. If a sluggish mouse problem doesn't show up in their QA process then what will.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

5. NewWorldMac macrumors newbie

I am very unsatisfied with the mouse pointer speed issue as well on the mac.

6. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

So change it!

7. baddj macrumors 6502

Okay there is 2 things you can try.

System preferences > Keyboard & Mouse
    Try changing some setting there.

Make sure the mouse you are using is OSX compatible you can go to the maker of the mouses website to find out?

8. motoroid thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually using the Wireless Apple Mighty Mouse and was experiencing the sluggish cursor movement.

9. davidmcguigan macrumors member

Same here.

I dropped $70 on the wireless mighty mouse and it's all but unusable. The 10.5.7 update fixed the issues with the trackpad but the bluetooth mighty mouse, even on full tracking speed, is so hard to use ( in terms of precision and targeting what you want to click ) that I'm taking it back to the store, even though I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MULTI-DIRECTIONAL scroll ball. Sorry about those caps.

My Logitech Laser MX3200 set works pretty well with OS X. Definitely to the point that I don't cuss about the mouse interpretation anymore. You might want to look into that. You can get a set for a little bit more than the wireless mighty mouse by itself.

10. aicul macrumors 6502a

Sometimes a simple switch-off then back-on with the mightymouse will solve the issue.

I do however share your opinion that such tihings should work, its part of the expectancy from apple. If apple leaves these things unresolved... reputation will sufffer erosion. So, yes being on the edge has some "costs", but they should require rapid attention.

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I sometimes get jumpy mouse movement with the Microsoft optical mouse I use with my Mac. It can be to do with the surface you're using the mouse on and how clean the mouse is. They can get accumulate dust under them after a while. Give the mouse a clean, clean the surface or mouse your using it with and then see if that helps.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Premium, no offense but the mac mini is anything but premium. Its a great little computer that lots of folks (including me) clamor for but you cannot confuse the mini as premium computer. A MacPro, or a MacBook Pro can be considered premium given the price tag and specifications.

Have you tried another mouse, that is are you sure its the computer and not the mouse?