Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Patently Apple, a newly-published patent application from Apple reveals an interesting take on the idea of using metaphorical gestures to share data between devices.

Building upon file transfer mechanisms found in such iOS apps as Bump that allow users to exchange contact information, photos, and other data between devices in close proximity, Apple proposes a number of gestures such as "pouring" and "vacuuming" that could add some additional visual interest to the mundane process of data transfer.

file_transfer_pouring.jpg

One example presented in the patent application demonstrates how a user could "pour" a set of files to transfer them from an iPhone-like device to a tablet device similar to the iPad. Files displayed on the iPhone's screen could animate the pouring process by appearing to respond to gravity as the iPhone is tipped, and files could behave in differing manners to provide more visual interest, such as by having larger files appear to be heavier than smaller ones and thus moving more slowly in the pouring process.

Apple describes other gestures to initiate the actual file transfer, such as tapping on the device as it is tipped for pouring or requiring a flick or other gesture to overcome a "speedbump" or other barrier and set the files moving to the other device.

Finally, Apple describes how devices could sense their relative locations within a room and allow users to simply flick data toward another device or to make sweeping gestures to broadcast the data to multiple devices in a general direction.

As always, Apple's patent applications should be read primarily for their basic interest and as a view into what Apple's engineers may be thinking about. Many of the ideas discussed in Apple's patent applications never make it to release, especially in those cases where the applications have made it through the lengthy waiting period to publication without the features having already been released.

Article Link: Apple Researching 'Physics Metaphor' Gestures for Inter-Device Communication

ThatDudeF

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Leave it to Apple to continue to innovate and think up new exciting ideas! Keeps me coming back for more :apple: FTW

Bankerts

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
I saw a Microsoft Surface do something like this when a mobile device was placed on the..well..surface. I like the idea though.

m85

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
Apple engineers are having too much fun with their idevices. I just hope that they put just as much effort innovating new mac features. As much as I like using my iphone, I spend way more time on my mac.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Might I show you the metaphorical gesture I might make, when I accidentally drop my iPhone on my iPad when it slips out of my hand?

Nyalotha

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
Apple engineers are having too much fun with their idevices. I just hope that they put just as much effort innovating new mac features. As much as I like using my iphone, I spend way more time on my mac.

New gesture, if you shake the iMac up and down it erases all files like an etch-a-sketch ;)

haha different engineers between the two.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Ridiculous. None of these idiotic things they research ever come to life anyway.

ben428

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Since this is explicitly supposed to be simulating real-life physics, I will point out that heavy objects don't fall any faster than light objects.

EDIT: Oh, I see: it's that heavy objects "slide" more slowly. Never mind.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
This looks pretty cool. I like the "tap to share" functionality of webOS, and the Microsoft Surface style interactions have a real futuristic vibe to them.

Might I show you the metaphorical gesture I might make, when I accidentally drop my iPhone on my iPad when it slips out of my hand?

Are your hands made out of butter?

zero-beat

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
So in the near future i could find myself tipping my phone towards my ipad? or my phone to someones ipod? And watch as the files fall out.. :D I like it.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Not hugely different from the 'tap to share' on WebOS?

Probably, but that's as it should be. Android comes up with an innovation, let it be shared by everyone. iOS comes up with an innovation, same thing. WebOS isn't as popular, but it came up with some important innovations itself that iOS (and MacOS for that matter) has adopted, such as swiping to switch between apps. That was one of my favorite features of WebOS.

I don't mean just blatant feature copying with 0 attempt at creativity, but some features are important enough that every OS should have them.

Last edited:
Reminds me of this "Siftables" demo a couple of years back. Watch the video for their demo on how they "pour" color from one digital block to the other:

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_merrill_demos_siftables_the_smart_blocks.html

I'm fortunate to have these (now labeled as "Sifteo Cubes") as part of their early access beta program. They're quite fun! So I definitely see the potential of this sort of thing between Apple devices.

Um, except what you posted is fake. That guy admitted it was just ore-recorded video. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Since this is explicitly supposed to be simulating real-life physics, I will point out that heavy objects don't fall any faster than light objects.

EDIT: Oh, I see: it's that heavy objects "slide" more slowly. Never mind.

I was going to say the exact same thing. The physics nerd in me was very upset for a moment.

fluffylion

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
stop it already. just stop

i would of thought after coverflow, apple would of stopped making gimmicky crap for their stuff. obviously there is some development nerd whose good at giving head..first action plans and getting what he wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.