Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Resellers Report iPod Stocks Dwindling, All SKUs Being Discontinued

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Ars Technica reports that Apple resellers are currently reporting low stocks of most iPod models, and no additional shipments of the existing models are reported to be available. Additionally, resellers report that the stock-keeping units (SKUs) for all existing models have been classified as discontinued.
The current line of iPods is on its last legs, lending more evidence that an iPod refresh is just around the corner. Sources from Apple Authorized Resellers have confirmed to Ars that current stock is dwindling (if not completely gone in some cases) and that no more of the current models are coming in. Additionally, all current SKUs are being discontinued, with no word on when new models may arrive.
Apple has been rumored to be holding a music-focused media event on Wednesday, September 9th, at which many Apple followers expect the company to introduce new iPod models as it has done at similar September events in previous years.

A number of rumors have pointed to the inclusion of digital cameras in the iPod touch, iPod nano, and even the iPod classic lines, but there have been no claims of changes to Apple's diminutive iPod shuffle, which saw a complete design overhaul in March of this year.

Article Link: Apple Resellers Report iPod Stocks Dwindling, All SKUs Being Discontinued

FortunesFool

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm very interested to see where this goes - definitely looking forward to the day when I can have one device that does everything and does it well. Ideally you could just have your phone in your pocket and have a wireless keyboard and monitor...

Comment

SystemZERO

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Clever of Apple to get rid of stock through the student buy a Mac, get an iPod promotion

Comment

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
How about an all-new line of aluminum uni-body iPods?

After all the talk of cameras, mics and GPS, that would take everyone by surprise...

Comment

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I had a feeling this update was going to be a complete blow out of the lineup.

This is very interesting and leads to many possibilities with respect to the new product lineups. I've imagined a whole new family of devices myself.

The shuffle is nice and all and I really don't have the negativity that I've seen on line about it. However I do believe Apple screwed up in the sense that the device should have been a USB dongle with separate USB and headphone jack ports. Yea I know a slightly larger device but in the end worth while.

Nano is interesting and I don't see major changes to its physical size, rather I see a major overhaul of its internals. The one external change will be a hybrid click wheel and Touch interface. The Touch interface is needed to support things like the rumored camera. I suspect Apple will try ot keep the software the same across models as much as possible.

The Touch obviously will get a speed up. But for the current device I see modest improvements beyond the camera and GPS. I'm really hoping GPS will be there as that could result in a huge explosion in new apps. Combined with a camera though it provides for many commercial apps.

Classic will morph into a Newton 2 type machine. That is a larger screened device than the current Touch and with far more storage. Imagine a machine with 128 to 256 GB of storage. It might even be optionally available with 3G networking. The goal is to fill the need for a massive storage iPod, provide for a larger screen for enhanced apps and bump the internal specs a bit.

I still think the rumored tablet will be an iPod also. Much bigger of course and with a more generous OS but an ipod none the less.

Dave

Comment

iMark50

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
something must be going on with the Shuffle...was in the ubiquitous WallyWorld yesterday and decided on the fly to pick up an old school shuffle, just cuz it would be handy...not a single one in sight and they usually have way more of those than the new one...

Comment

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
You're crazy, everyone knows that the shuffle is going to support VHS video tapes before it gets blu ray capabilities!

And the classic is going to support the behemoth of innovation known as the LaserDisc...

Comment

VinitaBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
Who Are The Trolls?

As of this writing, there are 2 "negative" responses to this news article. I wonder just WHO might find this announcement "negative." SanDiskers, perhaps? Microsofties? Hmmm.

I would wager that if the article revealed that a vein of solid gold half a mile wide had been discovered under the Cupertino campus, there would still be a handful of "negative" reactions.

Indeed, the Trolls live and thrive here on MacRumors.

Comment

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
I would wager that if the article revealed that a vein of solid gold half a mile wide had been discovered under the Cupertino campus, there would still be a handful of "negative" reactions.

The discovery of gold under Infinite Loop would be a negative because then Apple would charge $4000/$6000/$8000 for the iPod 14k/20k/22k.

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
As of this writing, there are 2 "negative" responses to this news article. I wonder just WHO might find this announcement "negative."...

Googlebots and other spiders that crawl the net follow links blindly. They follow all links on pages, including the "Positive" and "Negative" links on front-page stories. Spiders like these account for some such responses. The rest are just dirtbags who hate fun.

With that said, bring on the new iPods!! :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.