Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
This is what amazes me: MacDefender is all over the new - but the password thing is rarely mentioned - I'm not worried since it still requires an installer to get installed, but the scary part is that they found a way around the password - which at least would add some user awareness (even if installed in the user folder) - not sure if that really would help, since people who blindly click to installers that didn't launch will also most likely blindly type their password when prompted.
Did they though? Or was it the fact that the user is running as an administrator rather than a standard user?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
XProtect.plist is gonna get awfully large.

The Security System Preference panel should mention the date of XProtect.plist's most recent update.

OS X should treat an attempt to delete XProtect.plist in a special manner... beyond asking for the password, which can be social engineered by a malware author by presenting a screen shot of dialog box, with an arrow and instructions to the user to type in their password to allow it.

Since we are looking for ideas, how about:

One of the install buttons one has to press to install malware should be charged with say 110 Volts.

So, when all the people who don't know what they are doing try to press a malware key, they get zapped!:)

Or

As soon as you enter your credit card and the charge comes through, the bank calls and says your credit line is all used up.:)

Feel free to add.

This is a user education issue and IMO Apple should run some ads to that extent and put it into there opening videos when you first start up a Mac.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
haha, I haven't heard this line in a while since Windows 7 came out. Windows 7 was a huge step in the right direction for MS as evidenced by lots of large IT departments rolling it out pre-SP1. This might have been due to the long and detailed beta test cycle, and fact that XP was over a decade old!

Vista was 7's Beta? :D

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Did they though? Or was it the fact that the user is running as an administrator rather than a standard user?

Yes they did - by installing it in the 'user folder' where the user has the full right to do anything. Even if you are logged in as an Administrator you wouldn't be an administrator on the Unix level and it will would prompt for the password if you try to install something (or have to use sudo on the command line).

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
This is what amazes me: MacDefender is all over the new - but the password thing is rarely mentioned - I'm not worried since it still requires an installer to get installed, but the scary part is that they found a way around the password - which at least would add some user awareness (even if installed in the user folder) - not sure if that really would help, since people who blindly click to installers that didn't launch will also most likely blindly type their password when prompted.

Not requiring a password is a "feature" for the logged in user. If I understand it correctly, this is a carry over from the early days of Unix where you had more educated computer users (since there weren't many and you had to be a lot more educated just to use a computer) and it was assumed you would want to install software made available just to that non-admin user. It doesn't install for every user thus there is some protection. Still requires user permission to install so think they were thinking this was enough of a protection vs usability factor.

I'm not defending this "feature" just explaining what has been told to me about why it is like it is.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
It's not about the system's inherent security anymore.

If this social engineering/phishing stuff is deceiving the privileged user into doing its bid, there's no way to secure the system short of making it unusable.
(i.e., forbid installs or introduce Vista's pervasive "Cancel or Allow", which ends up annoying the user and ultimately promotes automatically choosing "Allow" each time, without reading the message).

The user has become the vector, there's only so much Apple can do against it.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
There's an old joke that I find very apt here... Two people are out walking and come across a Cheetah. As the Cheetah eyes them, one slowly bends down and tightens his shoes. The other says to him "dude, you can't outrun a cheetah!". He replies "I'm not trying to outrun the cheetah."

OSX doesn't have to stay ahead of all the criminals out there trying to penetrate the system. They merely have to stay ahead of their competition, and those criminals will go after the easier, more profitable, pray. OSX will remain relatively free of threats so long as Apple aggressively counterattacks each one quickly and efficiently, taking the profit out of it.

For those moaning that this is the death of OSX... lets do a quick comparison. So far this month (and it's only the second day of the month), OSX has had 1 new variant of malware. Windows, according to McAfee's virus definitions, has had over 30 new viruses discovered today alone. go take a look yourself: http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/ThreatActivity.aspx

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
And so it came to pass, on June 2nd 2011, that OS X did cease to exist. But even then, the malware programmer had no concept of his greater role in events. For this was far more than OS X's end. This day was the day upon which the whole of creation would change forever. This was the day the Time Lords returned!! :eek::eek::eek:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
The step I'd like to see Apple make is this:

All executables, or packages which may contain executables are 'quarantined' by Safari. They aren't opened, and they don't go in the Downloads folder where someone might accidentally launch them. They appear as "Quarantined" in the Downloads window in Safari and to open them you need to explicitly click a "I trust this download" button - ideally requiring Administrator privileges.

Most inexperienced users wouldn't take that step, so wouldn't be fooled by this trojan.

Still, good for Apple for taking these steps. In only hope this is the end, and not the beginning. Otherwise, (the safety of the) Mac App Store for all apps, here we go.

That's actually a great idea. Still not 100% idiotproof, but probably as close as can be.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think he's saying that installation of ANY KIND should require a password, and I would tend to agree.

Why would you lock down a user's home directory though ? That goes against the "it just works" mantra.

Installing for a single user shouldn't require a password.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Latest version of this scam install (if you let it) to the /Users/[USERNAME]/Applications, because it's not a system level location like /Applications is.

That's why it doesn't ask for password, because you are free to do what you want in you user folder, unless you want to restrict yourself with parental controls.

sined13

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
This is a never ending cat and mouse game. It is no different than on any other OS.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Not requiring a password is a "feature" for the logged in user. If I understand it correctly, this is a carry over from the early days of Unix where you had more educated computer users (since there weren't many and you had to be a lot more educated just to use a computer) and it was assumed you would want to install software made available just to that non-admin user. It doesn't install for every user thus there is some protection. Still requires user permission to install so think they were thinking this was enough of a protection vs usability factor.

I'm not defending this "feature" just explaining what has been told to me about why it is like it is.

I really wonder who thumbs these kind of posts down...

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Yes they did - by installing it in the 'user folder' where the user has the full right to do anything. Even if you are logged in as an Administrator you wouldn't be an administrator on the Unix level and it will would prompt for the password if you try to install something (or have to use sudo on the command line).

So even if you are logged in as a guest for example, you can still install it without a password?

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
That's actually a great idea. Still not 100% idiotproof, but probably as close as can be.

I doubt it.

If the website/banner/ad/whatever can convince you that the software is legit (Which it seems to be, otherwise Why would anyone have downloaded it in the first place?), the user will see the exact same process happen as when they download, say, "Photoshop trial". (quarantine -> must install manually and dismiss warning). It will look "just as the real thing".

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So even if you are logged in as a guest for example, you can still install it without a password?

If guest has a home directory (which it does), yes. You install it in Guest's home directory and only Guest has access to it.

That's how home directories work.

People looking for a technical solution to social engineering can only end up making the system less usable. Social engineering is not a technical problem.

If the website/banner/ad/whatever can convince you that the software is legit (Which it seems to be, otherwise Why would anyone have downloaded it in the first place?),

Hum... Javascript can be used to automatically download files. Safari with the "Open Safe files automatically" then automatically runs it since .mpkg is a safe file.

So the only manual step in this vector is actually completing the install. Safari's feature is the huge hole that needs plugging. That option be removed and the user should have to manually open files he downloads or Safari should do what other browsers do, prompt the user for action when a download is initiated (Open, Save to download folder, Cancel).

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

Every user can do whatever they want WITHIN their home directory. It is basically just copying data in the user directory of the current user. This is nothing that installs system wide or uses any security holes to hook it in the system, does not restart automatically when the machine is booted, nothing. (And guest you can anyway setup to wipe everything out after logout)

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
[...]
Hum... Javascript can be used to automatically download files. Safari with the "Open Safe files automatically" then automatically runs it since .mpkg is a safe file.

So the only manual step in this vector is actually completing the install. Safari's feature is the huge hole that needs plugging. That option be removed and the user should have to manually open files he downloads or Safari should do what other browsers do, prompt the user for action when a download is initiated (Open, Save to download folder, Cancel).

I agree banning automatic launch of installers IS a huge step forward.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I'm glad Apple is taking some steps to prevent this, even though it is more of a user education issue.

This being malware as opposed to a virus, it's authors have nothing to gain simply by being a step ahead. If they're not getting credit card info etc. They aren't making any money, which is the entire point of something like this. If Apple issues updates every day like they have been, they won't ever get anything.

What would really stop this stuff however, are real consequences. Right now it's worth the risk for even a small amount of success because nobody tracks these people down. As high profile as this case has been, it would be perfect to make an example out of these guys.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
There's an old joke that I find very apt here... Two people are out walking and come across a Cheetah. As the Cheetah eyes them, one slowly bends down and tightens his shoes. The other says to him "dude, you can't outrun a cheetah!". He replies "I'm not trying to outrun the cheetah."

OSX doesn't have to stay ahead of all the criminals out there trying to penetrate the system. They merely have to stay ahead of their competition, and those criminals will go after the easier, more profitable, pray. OSX will remain relatively free of threats so long as Apple aggressively counterattacks each one quickly and efficiently, taking the profit out of it.

For those moaning that this is the death of OSX... lets do a quick comparison. So far this month (and it's only the second day of the month), OSX has had 1 new variant of malware. Windows, according to McAfee's virus definitions, has had over 30 new viruses discovered today alone. go take a look yourself: http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/ThreatActivity.aspx

I need the full cheetah story. :mad:

3rd Doctor

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2009
Every user can do whatever they want WITHIN their home directory. It is basically just copying data in the user directory of the current user. This is nothing that installs system wide or uses any security holes to hook it in the system, does not restart automatically when the machine is booted, nothing. (And guest you can anyway setup to wipe everything out after logout)

This must be the first piece of malware with that ability then.

Anything that i install or even update on my mac, because im a standard user it always asks for an admin name and password. I presume its because standard programs are all handled within /applications which is separate from the home folder. (I realise two of you already explained this, it took me a while to get my feeble mind around it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.