Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As multiple Apple Stores in the United States work toward unionization, Apple's head of retail Deirdre O'Brien is aiming to thwart employee efforts through an anti-union video that was sent out to retail stores today.

apple-grand-central.jpg

Bloomberg shared details on the video, with O'Brien telling employees that unionization could slow workplace progress and could result in a soured relationship between Apple and its employees.

"It is your right to join a union - and it is equally your right not to join a union," O'Brien said in the video. She said that employees should "consult a wide range of people and sources" to have a full understanding of what it would mean to "work at Apple under a collective bargaining agreement."

O'Brien said that union organizations do not have an understanding of how Apple runs and may not be committed to employees as Apple is.
"We have a relationship that is based on an open and collaborative and direct engagement, which I feel could fundamentally change if a store is represented by a union under a collective bargaining agreement," she said. "And I worry about what it would mean to put another organization in the middle of our relationship. An organization that doesn't have a deep understanding of Apple or our business, and most importantly, one that I do not believe shares our commitment to you."
She explained that implementing raises, bonuses, and other new benefits could take longer under a union situation, referencing bonuses that were provided to retail employees during the pandemic. A union would potentially limit Apple's ability to implement "immediate, widespread changes," and it could "make it harder for [Apple] to act swiftly to address things" that employees bring up.

Apple retail locations in Washington State, New York City, Maryland, and Atlanta are organizing and taking steps toward unionization. Employees want higher pay, more vacation time, better retirement options, and other benefits.

Article Link: Apple Retail Chief Dissuades Employees From Unionizing in New Video

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
Good luck to these organizers!

As much as I love Apple, they don’t pay their retail workers nearly enough ($15 an hour is a poverty wage in 2022, and has been a poverty wage in major US cities for a decade). Nor do they give retail workers benefits commensurate with the integral role they play in the support and sales process. Reports have also shown abusive working conditions that a union could address.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Just had another bad experience at Apple store this morning. I have no sympathy for the workers there. Rude, incompetent, unaccommodating. Whatever gives them the worst treatment and pay, I am for it. Definitely reward those who perform well -- but not equal treatment for everybody, and no rewards for the freeloaders who just tag along.

Good luck to these organizers!

As much as I love Apple, they don’t pay their retail workers nearly enough ($15 an hour is a poverty wage in 2022, and has been a poverty wage in major US cities for a decade). Nor do they give retail workers benefits commensurate with the integral role they play in the support and sales process. Reports have also shown abusive working conditions that a union could address.
I agree. It was a dream to find a job at an Apple Store. It doesn't seem like that's the case anymore. Sad reality!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Just had another bad experience at Apple store this morning. I have no sympathy for the workers there. Rude, incompetent, unaccommodating. Whatever gives them the worst treatment and pay, I am for it.
Yes, surely that's the way to encourage good customer service and pride in the company you work for. By treating your employees terribly...

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Just had another bad experience at Apple store this morning. I have no sympathy for the workers there. Rude, incompetent, unaccommodating. Whatever gives them the worst treatment and pay, I am for it. Definitely reward those who perform well -- but not equal treatment for everybody, and no rewards for the freeloaders who just tag along.
Whilst a lot of us have probably had a few bad experiences with Apple, the majority of the time I’ve been nothing amazed at the staff I’ve done business with. Your comment is pretty nasty and bitter and it’s unfair for the majority of employees.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Whilst a lot of us have probably had a few bad experiences with Apple, the majority of the time I’ve been nothing amazed at the staff I’ve done business with. Your comment is pretty nasty and bitter and it’s unfair for the majority of employees.
I disagree with your assessment that it is bitter and unfair for me to say "definitely reward those who perform well." I think it would be bitter and unfair to withhold reward from them.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Punish the freeloaders that ride on other people's coattail. Reward those who perform well. That's the way. No equal treatment across the board due to collective bargain.
The point of unionizing isn't to protect legitimately bad employees. It's to make sure you can't be fired without proper cause and that employees are compensated fairly for the work and value they provide the employer.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I've been using Macs since my LC when I was child. When the retail stores opened they were awesome and the employees actually liked computers/tech and genius actually knew what was wrong. Now it's just a job and they wanted a discount. If I can avoid going to the stores now I do.
Some employees are great but most don't know anything and give the wrong advice.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

My favorite experience was when a Genius Bar employee cheerfully informed me I needed to replace the battery in my MacBook Air for $129.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.