Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated their retail page to reflect their new retail store policies to accommodate the ongoing demand for the iPhone 3G:
Your favorite Apple Retail Store is making it easier and more convenient to purchase an iPhone 3G. All stores will now open at 8:00 a.m. every day but Sunday and, to accommodate demand, we’re adding staff to help you get up and running as quickly as possible. Customers will be prequalified to purchase while in line and will receive a claim ticket for an iPhone 3G. Your ticket can be redeemed on the spot or — if it would be more convenient to return later the same day — by 6:00 p.m. (4:00 p.m. on Sundays).
Apple is opening stores early and offering claim tickets to avoid lengthy line waits in line.

Article Link

jamierson2k

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
They should have had claim tickets on opening day. I had to convince my local Fido (Canada) store to do this since they couldn't activate and wouldn't let me go till they could.

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Well now they know for next year! :p

Anyways.... Are there still long lines for iphones????

SacKingJD

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Great Idea ... little late though

Seriously, does it take a mac genius to figure out that this is what they should have been doing all along?

Good for mac to see the problem and fix it!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Seriously, where was this like two weeks ago. I spent the last two weeks making 10 trips to the Apple Store, and eventually waiting 4 hours in line to get my iPhone.

Yes, I finally got it, but if they had simply opened at 8:00 all this time, it would have made my life a lot easier.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I was finally able to purchase a Black 16 GB this past friday (Fashion Show, Las Vegas) because they implemented this system. It took them less than 15 minutes to figure out who wanted what phone, and what was available. I had previously waited in line (several times) for more than an hour to find out they had run out....

btw- exactly NO ONE left the line after they got their "golden ticket!"

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
Oh we've been doing this in Blighty for yonks!

This is more or less what happened in the UK West Quays (Southampton) Apple Store on opening day.

By the time they realised the credit check and activation was foobar'd they started reserving stock to customers in the queue (in line, if you must). So after waiting for 3 hours I left safe in the knowledge that my 16gb white number would be there waiting for me when I went back the next day. And it was.

Hopefully ounce of good sense has worked it's way back up and down the Apple Store food chain.

:D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
right...

Seriously, where was this like two weeks ago. I spent the last two weeks making 10 trips to the Apple Store, and eventually waiting 4 hours in line to get my iPhone.

Yes, I finally got it, but if they had simply opened at 8:00 all this time, it would have made my life a lot easier.

Or you could have just not waited in line, which would have made your life easier than getting a claim ticket.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
They need an online waiting list, so we can pay the $199 online, and then they
call us when it is our turn to go pick it up and activate it.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Well Idon't have much of an opportunity to get to the Apple Retails store in Regent Street, so i was trying to get a 16Gb iPhone through Carphone Warehouse in Canary Wharf.

Ask guy behind counter:-

"When will you have 16 Gb models in?"
"Next Friday, around 3pm"

Go next friday, around 3PM...

"16 Gb iPhones?
"No, they came in yesterday, all sold out"

So you ask again,and miraculously, they always come in the day BEFORE they said, and are always sold out.

Now either they are lying b&st*rds, or they don't have a clue.

So, it is still nigh on impossible, for me at least to get an iPhone. And if you try to order from their website, guess what?

16Gb "Sold Out"

If it's THAT difficult to just buy a phone, I think i'll just pass.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Now either they are lying b&st*rds, or they don't have a clue.

If you look at this list, you'll notice that the only O2 store in the entire London area with any iPhones this morning is in Barking.

The rest are all in Wales, Scotland, Newcastle, Liverpool.... anywhere but London.

I'm glad my contract doesn't expire till November, otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out :p

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
If you look at this list, you'll notice that the only O2 store in the entire London area with any iPhones this morning is in Barking.

The rest are all in Wales, Scotland, Newcastle, Liverpool.... anywhere but London.

I'm glad my contract doesn't expire till November, otherwise I'd be pulling my hair out :p

I HAD noticed!

Why should buying a phone be this difficult????

Sometimes i just despair. :confused:

clarnold

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Sounds great, doesn't help

This sounds great but they had this system in place on Sunday when I waited 3 hours for my 16GB Black. The way they had it setup there was to wait for about 2 hours in a line down the mall and then when you got to the Apple turnstyles, you could go forward and get prequalified and receive your card. At that point, you need to wait about another 45 minutes in line with 15 or so people ahead of you, until they come get you and let you in the store. It sounds great to "come back later" but I've already waited for 2 hours, I might as well wait through the next 15 people.

The best thing that store did was to walk down the line and take a tally of which phone everyone wanted and then go check their stock. They came back and announced "everyone in line at this moment will get the phone they've requested". Which makes it easier to wait the remaining few hours.

This was at the Florida mall, BTW.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
They need an online waiting list, so we can pay the $199 online, and then they
call us when it is our turn to go pick it up and activate it.

Thank You. It took until the 14th post for someone to say this.

It is so crazy that Apple will not let you pre-order. And some of you think Apple realized a problem and fixed it.

At my local store they have been doing this as well (for a while). People have been showing up at 6am so that at 8am they can get the ticket. And everyone thinks this is a good idea. How about you go into the store (with no line) when they are out of stock and then pay for the new phone and when you name comes up on the list they call you and you go by and pick up the phone.

Would that not accomplish the same thing as first come first serve?

For me, I will just wait another couple of weeks.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Thank You. It took until the 14th post for someone to say this.

It is so crazy that Apple will not let you pre-order. And some of you think Apple realized a problem and fixed it.

At my local store they have been doing this as well (for a while). People have been showing up at 6am so that at 8am they can get the ticket. And everyone thinks this is a good idea. How about you go into the store (with no line) when they are out of stock and then pay for the new phone and when you name comes up on the list they call you and you go by and pick up the phone.

Would that not accomplish the same thing as first come first serve?

For me, I will just wait another couple of weeks.

Marketing. Line ups draw people's attention, are talked about, and make good news stories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.