Apple retail, refund/replace on iphone after macworld

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robocop2000, Jan 1, 2008.

1. robocop2000 macrumors member

I want to buy an iphone to jailbreak, but am reluctant to do this before macworld in case they bump the memory up or add some new hardware to it. But I am also aware that they may introduce 1.1.3 which is at the moment nt possible to jailbreak.

So if I buy an iphone before macworld is it correct that I can exchange it (as long as it's unopened) up to 14 days after purchase? So if no hardwre upgrade I keep it, but if hardware that is jailbreakable I can exchange for the latest, or wore cae just get a refund?

Any experience with this?

Note: I am in the UK

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

As long as the iPhone is unopened and it is within 14 days of purchase you should be able to get a full refund, no questions asked as long as you still have the receipt. I also believe that if it is opened and still within 14 days, you can return it, but you will be forced to pay a 10% restocking fee. I am a little confused with the part I quoted, I don't understand what you are saying there.

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

chr1s60 is right, and if it lends any credence to his words, I'm doing a similar thing. I have no intent on jailbreaking, but I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow (1/2) so that if they come out with a new one I could pay the 10% restocking fee and get a new one, but if they don't then I can enjoy my iPhone for the next two weeks.

Also, if they lower the price then I can call for a refund because I'll be within the 14 day price drop period as well.

Anyway, what you're doing is pretty safe.
    -Chasen

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I can safely say there is going to be no "upgraded phone" that will be RELEASED right after macworld. It would be silly on Apples part.
    Buy now. Don't worry about the next greatest thing.

5. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

Uh, sources?

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The current iPhone can't be upgraded with more space. So what else could they possibly do with the current one?

They wouldn't release the second version of the phone within what..6 and 1/2 months since the first one came out?

2 major things to think about.

Besides, their was a post from the ATT CEO i believe on Engadget saying the iPhone design was 90% done.

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Why cant they add more space? I think you never know with apple. Id say theres a 90% chance you are right, but I wouldnt rule out the possibility completely.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Because with the current setup in the phone, i'm pretty sure it's impossible to do, unless if it's possible to have a single 16GB flash drive.

I think we'll see more space, 3G, and what not all in iPhone 2. That way it persuades more people to buy it, instead of just getting a version 1 phone.

9. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

My speculations

Quite possible there's no more space, yet the iPhone is with 8GB flash, even it is in 1 flash chip, quite behind the competition. And single 16GB memory chips are already in mass production, even when the iPhone was released, they were already available pretty decently. However they were like 285$ a piece. 1 Month after iPhone release a single 64GB chip for SD cards was released. However costing a whopping 790$ FOR PRODUCTION, so probably retailing at ridiculous heights.

My prediction is a memory upgrade, say up to 16GB for sure, maybe even 32GB, 'caus you should really take the SSD evolvements in account.

Also 3G should be researched far enough to take down those "power consuming problems," which was the basic reason for Apple to not put a 3G chip in the iPhone. I'm also predicting GPS, but possibly external, and a camera at 3.2 MP and Videorecording.

But back on topic, regarding your refund ideas, its Jan. 2nd, its 14 more days till Macworld or so, so if I were you, I'd wait, because like mentioned earlier, IF iPhone 2 is announced, iPhone 1 will probably see a price drop, so either way, it might be wise to wait. After Macworld, look into it again. Oh and bluetooth and MMS/SMS problems are all software-based, so will probably be fixed too.

Same goes for me btw... :)